Author Topic: Rising threat  (Read 23583 times)

Rhys

Re: Rising threat
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2017, 02:45:31 PM »
So current tally is
1 rise deleted himself
1 rise suicided himself
1 yuri quit out and left arctic
1 dennis quit
1 trucker joe quit

niceeeeee.

and now the danes are blocking myth in quali from exploring it.  great job

Wow. Look at the effect a one sided jumping can have. Almost like the staff should discourage it....

Surely you can see the irony of your comments.

el conquistador

• Fodder
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »

Wow. Look at the effect a one sided jumping can have. Almost like the staff should discourage it....

Surely you can see the irony of your comments.

this is a pretty good point and i suppose it is what the immortals were trying to do when they did their weird cheat character thing.

i can tell you whenever ive been jumped by a strong clan they might as well have been immortals for all i could do about it.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
You realize it's not the fact that we were jumped that these people quit... right?

RISE plays this game competitively.  When the mud wipes, we start at 0 with every other mortal.   

An immortal disrupting the competitive balance of the game is like someone who owns a million dollar cooking competition, decides who wins, and picks himself or his friends.

The aftermath was even worse.  The game was transformed into a grindfest the moment the PvP damage was reduced to nil.

Have fun with that.

P.S.
Yuri wasn't even playing with RISE. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:52:33 PM by eddiex »

el conquistador

• Fodder
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2017, 04:32:49 PM »
rise has completely mastered the game and dominated all their enemies, no question.

but i dont think anyone is trying/wanting to compete with you anymore. 

in my view its like there is a cooking competition with full contact allowed.  and most all of the people in the contest are just minding their own business, just trying to cook the best they can, but one team loves the full contact part of the competition.  so every now and then if it looks like someone is cooking up something that looks anywhere close to as good as what the team can cook, they beat the shit out of them and dump their food on the ground.

its technically within the rules, but .....

Nostramazos

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
Realise that this is probably the best of reads, so read it and hear my words!!

There is no Rise, or Wild, or Tarsis Shriners. The two defining characteristics of the big clans are their love for eq and domination. In this endeavour everyone has cheated, everyone has botted, everyone has fumed, everyone has flamed, and everyone has sworn at other players, their families and wished people dead. You know who you are. And to see some of you play the self-righteous card or  say if you get pkilled, you don't care about your eq is at least laughable. You care when you lose your gear to the point of paranoia and you have probably rage quit (a number of times) over it. 

Maza Nostra expresses it's unequivocal disdain towards all these players who cannot hold it together and who lose perspective over the fact that this is just a game. I ask for Jorquin to open up a thread with the title 'I'm sorry', where all of you will apologise to this mud for being such lowlifes and promise to do better in the future.

To Jorquin: To attack Rise as you did was a completely uninspired idea and plainly wrong. You and other immortals single-handledly put a dent to your efforts so far and contribute to the idea of immortals cheating for their friends. You have no reason to assist experienced players in pk, or exact revenge or showing anyone a taste of their own medicine. You are doing a great job as an immortal and the thread that you now opened is a step towards the right direction. But, I am sad to say it, you owe an apology to Rise, if you want to contribute in mending this Arctic community. Noone will think less of you because this is a game and not a power struggle. And by the way, fighting fire with fire only works in movies...with Stalone so go figure.

To RISE: It is true that by and large you have left most people on their own this wipe and probably the last wipe too. It is also true that in your efforts to be dominating and put text based eq in your text based heads, legs and hands, you have often being the utmost jerks. Understand that chasing people 24/7 has had an effect in the community and people have quit over it. You are responsible for this, don't believe anyone that says otherwise. And you did that by botting most of the time. But so have others before you, that now pretend to forget about it, because they are losing. Point is do not whine over why people treat you in a specific way. It will take some more time for people to understand the new you, if such thing exists. However, you have every right to whine for when others are breaking the rules to chase you. I say whine, because with the exception of Tim, that is the level of your writing and arguments. English classes for the lot of you.

PK of course has been at the heart of this controversy over a number of wipes and over a number of wrong and uninspired immortal interventions. It is still a valid aspect of the game but with a diminishing player base it is a double edged sword. Most people love pk when they win or when they win after they have lost. And most people hate pk when they lose..consistently. Yes, you got it right. They are the same people.

You have to give the option to people with some coding (I can bring back my slave Adepali for this, he owes me!) to allow players to choose a PK FLAG upon creation. This would make a char free of pk and it would not be able to change. Allow them to legend as much as they can but restrict them on eq they can use/and or getting items that are important to gain access to important gear. Have them group only with other non pk characters. I don't know, just brainstorm on how it would work.

I would definitely choose this option because I suck at pk, there are dts around and unless I fight against one person, I cannot read all that shit so I really have no idea what is going on. AND, I know some of you think that this bruising is mad, but as Maza, we always bruised our opponents. I would only support pk if there are breads involved. Go and see how Maza and the Horsemen destroyed the other eq freaks, the Shriners in a fight that stayed in the ages. The logs are still online.

So these are my two cents. Make Arctic fun again, stop the bitching, and realise that Maza is the best clan. Then it is KoS. And then it is Maza again.

Nostramazos, Dark Adept of Little Pony

raf

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »
@eddiex

I think you are confusing wanting to compete with dominating. There is a difference. In order to play competitively you need to have competition.

When the mud wipes you don't start at 0 with every mortal, you start with a huge clan who can play a lot of hours to gain dominance and then not allow any competition.

When there was competition you couldn't dominate but it's easy to dominate when there is no competition.

zodiak21

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
Well put andreas ill find a dt with u any day

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
Love Andreas post.

I disagree with Raf. A game with limited resources is innately competitive.  Particularly extremely rare and powerful resources.  If people are not trying to compete, there is plenty of EQ in this game that does not attract the attention of RISE.

But the we don't want to compete spin is just fake news.

The group we had our eyes on only got our attention when we found they had Wyrmslayer, huma shield, onyx shield , dragon orb, diamond bracelets, etc.

Furthermore, our pk target was aiding and abetting this group, then lying about it, and is very likely the primary owner of their nobash dragon orbed druid in their group(based on log time consistency).

Yes we want the best sets, unfortunately we play in a portion of the wipe where we are not the only person who knows how to obtain them.

We've already heard since the new change that the danes are abusing their new found sanctuary and harassing of all clans.. Myth.  They also mysteriously showed up on lunitari after god clan killed us.  How did they know we were there?

This is an absolute joke. Lol.

Master Mike

Re: Rising threat(safe space)
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2017, 07:12:09 PM »
Damn democrats ruining the mud...

raf

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »
@eddiex

Yeah I am not privy of the details in this case, who did what or the reasons. I am looking at the recent history (several wipes).

All I'm saying is if you are in a dominant position you have more of a responsibility to allow competition to thrive so they can in fact challenge you. And sometimes that means you leave them some of the shinies or some room to grow, etc.

Here is an example or two: Long ago when shriners ruled the game, my early clan MH died at amity with Sleet dragonorb and a bunch of other eq. A bunch of shriners got there before us but actually returned all our eq back including the dragonorb. Another time after one of those 20vs20 battles another shriner gave me some of my eq in his possession back so I could challenge them again soon and I did only a few days later. I won't go so far as to say we were great competition but we won a few battles and thrived despite their domination and everyone had fun.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:21:11 PM by raf »

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 07:24:20 PM »
I'm very confused at why this all came about at this point in the wipe.  What did we do wrong this wipe?  PK'd like 1 or 2 people during a 3 week span?  I don't even give a shit about the immortal mage situation honestly, and I have every right to be upset about it.  Someone explain to me what line was crossed this wipe with facts, not with words like "attitude" "intentions" and "running people off mud."  Serious.  Someone explain what RISE supposedly did wrong this wipe?  What rules were broken? 

And what pushed our brilliant staff to implement the no-pk rule 3 weeks into this wipe instead of day 1?  To waste all of our time, sucker us in so we'd spend literally 240 hours of our life rushing, just to have every second of that time wasted with the rule change?  Jorquin, let's hear it bud.

Terk

• Immortal
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
This is literally the best damn thread I've read on this forum in years! So much passion for the MUD and I can only see that as a good thing.

I don't think I'm too biased in these discussions, but I'll put a disclaimer that I've never been that into PK--partly because in large part I shouldn't be. I also usually don't get bothered by pkers because I prefer gear I can get in small groups that allows you to do most content (It's why I made the armaboro set) -- also it's not appropriate for me to have actually desired items. Over the years I've played with Jack longer than either of us would like to admit, the entire Wild Crew, and even the Danes have always buttered me up (Terky pun intended) by spending hours in my zones. In more recent times I've just been in smaller clans that have largely avoided the fray.

Like our Maza friend describes, there's nothing really new here in terms of the attitude to the game of the "best" clan. The game is designed to create this attitude. The "secret sauce" of Arctic is that you have to suspend your disbelief enough to put real value into various lines of text. One major thing allows us to create this value: emotions of other people.  The fact that others can value some of your lines of text enough to kill you for them, is a major draw that grounds you in the world.  It helps suck you in. The fact that friends are willing to spend hours helping you gear up and that enemies will fear your character for its set. These are essential to creating value. To get really sucked in here, you need the game to inspire emotions in others and have others inspire emotions in you (helpful or harmful). This is why, by the way, that a limitless system that leaves you invulnerable to all things but death traps is a terrible idea. If nobody cares about the gear you have, you will value the game less and therefore not play.

One emotion though, that may be detrimental is hopelessness and I think this gets to the problem. If you only feel jealous of other players gear but can never hope to achieve it, because you will be slaughtered in the process of trying to achieve it or the time commitment is just beyond what you can do, then I can see how the game is unable to create value for you. This could definitely lead you to quit.

In terms of implementable solutions that are feasible for the staff to handle, I think the first thing to try is putting more parameters on PK. I would call this the "Terms of Engagement". If this is agreed to in principle, then I think a high council of clan leaders small and large can work to hammer out the details around a few key points/parameters.

1. When PK can happen?
--This could be anything from 6 hours a day at set hours, to MWF, to Half day Saturday/Sunday
--Possibly this could be hardcoded by modification of the PK damage automatically.
--It could be made to more or less of a disadvantage to not log in during PK hours
2. Are there exceptions?
--Maybe talking shit in game in non-pk hours is not allowed
--Maybe low level chars can't be killed?
3. Number of limited items allowed to be taken
--This could be all items or just a few with corpse return to defeated party.
4. What are the punishments for breaking the rules
--Immortal intervention of some kind. Pdeletion? Damning? Character stat reduction?
5. How often are rules reviewed?
--Maybe earlier in the wipe the rules are more strict, but later in a wipe they loosen up?

How crazy does this sound?

Edit: If clans think this is feasible, maybe start a new thread about the Terms of Engagement. I'm sure if you came up with something the staff would be open to looking at it--our goal is always to make Arctic the best it can be.

Edit: I know none of the details of the specific instance, but thought it might be valuable to look at alternate solutions to complete no-PK.

Terky
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:13:58 PM by Terk »

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2017, 09:23:10 PM »
Terk - I don't think I've ever met you or talked with you but your post is 100% correct.  Thank you. 

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »
Jorquin went from me thinking i was wrong about him being a bitch tool for hoss.  To something below a cockhold for hoss. Haha I literally was telling Matt about how good the wipe and mud is this wipe when i found out this news.. lol way to go.. I'm just happy we decided no loss of sleep and no rushing this time around..
Ps
Jorquin is a cockhold.

Master Mike

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »
lol... keeping it classy.