Author Topic: Rising threat  (Read 18446 times)

eddiex

• Zoner
Re: Rising threat
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 02:49:49 AM »
That's a great idea. You'll sound much smarter once you stop talking.

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 04:02:51 AM »
Removing item limits and altering load rates could be on the cards to address hoarding of equipment, but we'll have to wait and see.

To be honest the upper staff haven't really had a good group huddle to discuss next steps since this went down, so for now things will stay as they are. Changing PK damage is as simple as inputting a command, and can be reverted in half a second. Altering load rates and item limits en-masse is not easy to undo. We would need to make a server side backup so that we can undo changes if players don't find it enjoyable.

raf

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 08:21:06 AM »
> Give a few level 36/37's cheat characters in GOD clan with the sole purpose of helping the oppressed fight back against tyranny.

Probably the best option, this way you keep the pk aspect of the game for most people and only affects the assholes. Plus Immortals get to play too, which is a plus.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »
Cheat characters is not a viable option as by the time they become needed, there's already been untold number neutrals and clannies jumped, not to mention gear swapped to other characters. Not to mention having to set a threshold, who decides what becomes egregious enough to warrant immortal response and just wait for the sniping and claims of bias that'll come from that.

No, setting PK damage to damn near zero is a great solution. Next step will be to organize a formal PK fighting area or day similar to the tournaments which have been held in the past. You can keep PvP, just let people who don't want to engage in it enjoy the game.

Allowing a small fraction of the total (possible) playerbase to dictate who can keep what equipment or who can group with whom due to clan tags does not work in the current age.

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
So current tally is
1 rise deleted himself
1 rise suicided himself
1 yuri quit out and left arctic
1 dennis quit
1 trucker joe quit

niceeeeee.

and now the danes are blocking myth in quali from exploring it.  great job staff!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:00:57 PM by xellos »

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »
No one ever really quits! They just go to rehab and relapse later

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »
So current tally is
1 rise deleted himself
1 rise suicided himself
1 yuri quit out and left arctic
1 dennis quit
1 trucker joe quit

A pity people who can't be bullies anymore are quitting or deleting. At least their actions are now limited to self destruction.

raf

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
Cheat characters is not a viable option as by the time they become needed, there's already been untold number neutrals and clannies jumped, not to mention gear swapped to other characters. Not to mention having to set a threshold, who decides what becomes egregious enough to warrant immortal response and just wait for the sniping and claims of bias that'll come from that.
There will always be some assholes but someone who pks you for your shinies isn't an asshole, it's a pk mud. Assholes are people who negatively affect the playerbase by being abusive. And yes the immortals are responsible for setting that threshold otherwise they should step down and let others lead.

You let the playerbase handle disputes but if they can't, the immortals should interfere at their discretion and this doesn't require constant supervision, just the fear of it happening at any point is a good deterrent.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
Blackmagus for carebear MUD Overlord. Seriously listen to this guy. He has a true grasp of what Arctic needs.

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »
I ruin the game for people.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:39:02 AM by Kam »

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
You let the playerbase handle disputes but if they can't, the immortals should interfere at their discretion and this doesn't require constant supervision, just the fear of it happening at any point is a good deterrent.

The playerbase lost it's ability to police it's own, or rather the illusion of having that ability came with the diminished playerbase. Back when we had 60-120 active players, several competing clans could war, balance and ultimately band up against a common aggressor. Game balance wasn't as big an issue because equipment changed hands as often by PK as it did by loads.

Fast forward to the current meta, with 20-40 active players and a half to two-thirds of that number within the top three clans. The balance of the MUD gets determined by whomever has the best start and wouldn't shift even after several disastrous losses. That controlling clan, usually RISE never allowed competition to get another foothold and would randomly jump any competitors and run them out of the game. The obviousness of this comes with the progressively shorter wipes.

Now we have a game changer, PvP damage has been nerfed while the Overlords rethink the disastrous changes that uncontrollable PvP has wrought on a playerbase ready dwindling due to age and familiar responsibilities. There's an opportunity to turn the game back into a zoners paradise by limiting PvP activities to a consentual or at least well regulated format. That's my hope anyways.

tldr; The player base is too small to self-regulate, change is happening to fix the problem.

oom

• Fodder
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
I think it's perfect that the same people who were protected by God clan are the people using their bot squad to steal recalls and zone items from a myth group in quali. Some imms shout that botting is illegal and others protect the bot squads of their friends. I don't really have any I'll will towards anyone, but can we at least have the same rules for every player?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:21:17 PM by oom »

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »
I quit because this game has attracted some of the worst personalities.

Just imagine...  "Ok,  im gonna give mud another shot..  let me roll a character..

Finally level 30!,  let me shout for some people...

Nice,  I got a full group!,  let's try this zone...

"people".. "Who are you?"  Me: UHH,  cant you read the name of my character???

"sweating"  JUMPED!!,  "we killed you because we didn't know who you were"

OR "we killed you because you had it coming from 3 years ago and we shouldn't even know who you are but somehow we do"  :)

lol,, this is arctic life

btown

• Elder
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
I want a redo to why i quit,

I quit cause i suck at this game and my eyes got bad with my age now i cant read the screen

btown

• Elder
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2017, 02:35:06 PM »
Sorry guys im trying to boost my post count..

I have a great idea to deal with RISE!  and RISE will even love it!

Give them their own  island!  they have to rent there and recall there!..  make them 10man max group and make the rest of the mud 20 man!

The no pk stuff is not a solution.  I'd personally never come back to a non pk mud if i did come back ever to begin with.

RISE won the game so why not make the game around them? lol  This is Arctic Mud we do what we want