Author Topic: Brainstorming  (Read 2140 times)

Gotten

Brainstorming
« on: February 21, 2017, 07:36:44 AM »
So let me start off with an intro: Im Gotten, I have played in the past as Hugg or Pepp. Longtime Newb and not really good at all. However, I have been playing off and on since jr high around 2000. (Still cant lead). So, Ive recently returned to Uni, studying graphic design and have been doing my best to recruit the math and computer departments to play, as well as anybody else. But the thing I was thinking of was: why not try and reach a bigger, metaphorical, microphone? I know there is a MUD subreddit and mud connector and all that but is there another platform we haven't utilized? Also, where to donate for Arctic? I know this has been an ongoing topic with some contention but maybe we could try and all get some good input for ideas? Sorry about any grammer or spelling, im on my phone.

Kir

• Zoner
Re: Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »
a lot of us have been throwing the idea around to use new social media platforms to advertise using donations but the last administration was bapting retarded and I am still holding out hope for the current administration so we shall see, but definitely a great idea to advertise the game if we want new players.

Gotten

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 04:12:26 PM »
I think looking into new platforms is a great idea. If you think about the advent of all the DIY culture thats been going, everything from craft brewing to woodworking, its all over the place. Along with a resurgence for things that are niche or somewhat archaic. I think it would be kind of neat to put a new face on Arctic. Something fresh but with obvious ties to the past, which their is plenty of in Arctic. I would think this could be a serious community project that could be discussed and participated on all levels. I for one would be willing to put my illustration and design skills to use.

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:26:32 AM »
Love the idea of making it a community project.

Firstly, Arctic is based on dragon lance books. Not sure if the game is infringing on any copyright laws, perhaps that would need to be checked out.

Secondly, you can make donations on the website, but what are donations for? Arctic is based on DIKU code which is specifically not for profit. Obviously the game is running on someone's server, some people are putting some of their spare time into development. This is all voluntary. Who would get the donations?

Sure there are more issues to consider, just brainstorming before I go to work.

Umarth

• Immortal
  • Favorite Zone: Tarsis (duh)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:51:12 AM »
Generally speaking, you can't make money on Arctic, or you'll be much closer to engaging in copyright infringement, since the DragonLance stuff is protected IP. I think, but am not sure, that Margaret Weis bought it back from WOTC a while back. Anyways, so long as it's free, there's a good "fair use" argument. That begins to erode when you start taking "donations" even if it's just for costs.

JJ and I, and others, have been discussing expanding the platform through a potential port to Slack / Facebook. Still in the discussion / feasibility study stages, though.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »
The best way to "expand" arctic is the most obvious - invite your friends or former players/clanmates back, even if its just for the wipe day rush.  Trying to convince someone who isn't already familiar with MUDs in general, and Arctic in particular, is a hard sell.  Convincing your buddies you know in rl to come back for a few hours on Saturday, June 17th and kill some sewer goblins is a much easier task.

I will be sending out some messages on the old KoS listserv and the current DDO email that Justinian maintains, just to see if some of the old timers want to dust off their typing skills and reminisce via gt about how awesome 1998 was!

Rinad

• Immortal
  • Favorite Zone: Deep Mines
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
I already hit up the myth facebook page, let's see if we can get Refaat and others to come back again.