Author Topic: Why I Quit  (Read 6813 times)

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Why I Quit
« on: January 18, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
I keep an eye on the forums and every so often I see "RISE ran everyone off the MUD" so I thought I'd chime in since a lot of you have ran into me over the years whether it be early on or more recently.

The closer you are with me the more you'd realise I'm not the bloodthirsty monster everyone's made me out to be. I'm basically living proof that people can change. I don't give two shits about pvp in this game and haven't for a long time. When I have time to do so, I still prioritize competitive games over others. It's not the competition that made me quit.

RISE ran me off the game. Just like you, they were able to get me to stop playing. Unlike you (some? Most?), it's not because I was stuck in an inn, afraid of dying, etc etc. It's because at this point in my life I don't want to compete in this game.

Arctic is in the past. It's great for sitting down and enjoying some time with old friends destroying zones with items you grew up to love but now have access to since the players of old have also left. The staff have done great things keeping the game current no matter what opinions are out there. The betterment of the game was always their priority. They are, like me, always looking towards the most fair playing field for all.

But I digress, RISE ran me off. I've no one to play with anymore. Old friends have left for various reasons. Most are bored and that's legitimate and fine. The rest have stopped playing because of the sheer "stress" of not being able to log on and causally play anymore. The sheer win-at-all-costs mentality RISE has shown over the past couple of years has no place in the game.

I learned a long time ago that my actions were truly driving people off the game that I loved. I would kill people and they wouldn't return. I was completely within the ruleset to do so but some players just don't want that. I get that now. I started to understand it way back but it's truly hit me years ago.

I don't know if I'll ever return, but I do know I have no drive to play while pvp exists within the ruleset. I guarantee not everyone believes the same way I do about it and that's fine, but these are my feelings on the matter.

I have nothing against the individual players of RISE, but together, you'd become truer assholes than I ever was.

Corey

Ps I don't actually know why I'm posting this, I'm just bored on the bus

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
Re: Why I Quit
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
quitting is for quitters.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »
Your post clearly states that you don't have anyone to play with anymore, that's why you don't play.  Get your shit story straight before plastering more anti-Rise bullshit.  Happy New Year!

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:06:36 AM »
Great post, Corey.  Being a long-time anti-PK type, I am glad to see you come around to the concept.  If there was an opt-in system for PK, or literally any method to allow those who wish to simply play to simply play as opposed to having to spam who and set 5 keys to recite recall (slam head in this portion of keyboard, escape PK asshat), this game would be far more engaging and playable at high levels.  As it is, though, we have (and, realistically, have had for a long, long time) a system which ruthlessly punishes the second most skilled set of players in the game... no matter who they are. Rise has gotten better in regards to their conduct towards non-aligned and non-war clans, but the dominant PK clan, with *very* rare exceptions, has always had a detrimental effect upon the playerbase of this game.

Jason

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 06:09:50 AM »
I'm with Corey, as much as I'd never expect to say that after years of his nonsense, he's right. PvP has devolved into simply owning the MUD at any cost whatsoever.

Why not change it to PvP optional? Arctic has been around longer than some of the players have been alive and has sadly enough been fading, so why not start a wipe with PvP turned off and see how things progress? Call it an experiment, call it evolution, but a lot of us would prefer playing the game for it's PvE aspects only without having to worry about a clan wanting our shinies, or some RISE members or Alts randoming us for the sheer fun of it.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 06:58:38 AM »
Simply BS post...
First of all corey... as far as I know you played with Core this wipe who are still active and ran cyan a few days ago. So you do have somebody to play with.

Secondly, Rise lets neutral clans play, we never once attacked KA this wipe, and the wipes previous to that we left myth alone. We also have left euros alone for most wipes except 1 in which russians were crazy blood thirsty. Regardless you could always join a neutral clan and play til your hearts desire.

Third, I have a feeling you are now anti-pk just because you were losing in pk. People who win epic pvp battles don't cry and quit. If you were crushing other clans in open combat, popping humas and dragonorbs off their bodies you would be loving pk still I have no doubt.

Fourth, I also have a feeling if this became a no pk mud, it would lose its 30+ rise members. Some people may be inclined to play but without rise being around, people would want to pk again. There is also absolutely zero way the no pk thing would work. You would have some asshat make 100 bots and sit one in every zone so nothing would ever repop. You'd need immortals policing arctic again 24/7 just to avoid that. Its a horribly thought out idea by people who do not have the intelligence to think out ideas.

/endrant

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 07:52:13 AM »
10 rise members and 20 bots.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »
RISE VOTED FOR HILLARY!

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »
Simply BS post...
First of all corey... as far as I know you played with Core this wipe who are still active and ran cyan a few days ago. So you do have somebody to play with.

Secondly, Rise lets neutral clans play, we never once attacked KA this wipe, and the wipes previous to that we left myth alone. We also have left euros alone for most wipes except 1 in which russians were crazy blood thirsty. Regardless you could always join a neutral clan and play til your hearts desire.

Third, I have a feeling you are now anti-pk just because you were losing in pk. People who win epic pvp battles don't cry and quit. If you were crushing other clans in open combat, popping humas and dragonorbs off their bodies you would be loving pk still I have no doubt.

Fourth, I also have a feeling if this became a no pk mud, it would lose its 30+ rise members. Some people may be inclined to play but without rise being around, people would want to pk again. There is also absolutely zero way the no pk thing would work. You would have some asshat make 100 bots and sit one in every zone so nothing would ever repop. You'd need immortals policing arctic again 24/7 just to avoid that. Its a horribly thought out idea by people who do not have the intelligence to think out ideas.

/endrant

You know wrong. I "played" for about 4 hours this wipe. A clan of Chucks is no clan at all. I wanted people to play with, not group members taking up space.

I miss Andrew, Adam, Zearin, NOWCLAN. These people don't play anymore. I have friends all over but no one with that same "makes this game fun" connection as I did. They're all gone now.

I don't know if you know NOWCLAN, but we ONLY quit when we're on top. We never exactly lost either. I've never lost a war, that feeling doesn't apply to me.

...Wes might have suicided a few times...

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »
Well Corey i do agree this mud could use some NOWclan but in the abscense of NOWclan i'd recommend recruiting people and starting something fresh. Rise in reality is only 4-5 years old and we started as 4-5 harcores with 5 casuals and now we stay around 15 hardcores and 15 casuals. Every wipe we get 4-5 new players and lose 4-5 due to irl/boredom rtc. There are soooo many people who ask us to join and we simply cant take them on since groups are only 8 and we already have too many people. An ambitious leader could easily start zoning and get these people together and in 1-2 wipes could be conquering the mud... it happened with us, it could easily happen again.

newbie123321

• Fodder
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 03:37:22 AM »
Just because you repressed most of the things you did Corey does not make you better than RISE, fukkaboi. Your assholery in the past is why you don't want PVP now, IF they just allowed bots and had hundred of bots running around it would be harder for us to find you. I would rather type who and see 100 plus people online than less then 50 real or not. Can we just try a wipe when botting is legal and no bapts are given because man I would have some fun pking RISE solo with turtle shields and misty longblades.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
This wipe is the closest that has ever happened for legal botting. I can't think of one clan who doesnt have bots. It is more of a looking the other way type of wipe. Dont abuse the power and dont be a dick and make it so the imms attention needs to be on you and there isnt really a problem

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
This wipe is the closest that has ever happened for legal botting. I can't think of one clan who doesnt have bots. It is more of a looking the other way type of wipe. Dont abuse the power and dont be a dick and make it so the imms attention needs to be on you and there isnt really a problem

True but i think newbie was saying that if it was legal to bring bots to pk he could trash rise. But i think making bots legal in pk would make rise an absurd clan. There are legit 30 of us we would control 240 characters at a time. If you want to make people able to pk rise, make the classes stronger like I said in the other post, so character strength isn't completely dependent on gear. As I pointed out, if we reverted some class nerfs back, mid level clans could still do end-game content and pop end-game gear. As it is now, only the clan with all the dams is doing end-game content and that creates too much of a power bottle-neck.

newbie123321

• Fodder
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »
Agreed Kir, Agreed.
What I did not like about this wipe thou is how certain people who paid for xtra IP's to be able to multi  did not get bothered by imm's and when a few people who wanted to just bot 5 characters from their IP's they were told to stop even tho they were just doing it to practice and/or learn more zones by themselves which is cool because I definitely can see how its nice to just watch a show and learn a zone at your own pace with your own guys. Maybe to solve this problem we could make it so you can only bring a 8 man group to pk you cannot bring more than group size, this could be a good rule or once again if your botting we have bots tagged and make it so non bot tagged groups cannot be pked by them or just be against the rules. meh....

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 09:32:08 PM »
miss u bb.
QQ