Author Topic: Welcome back! Sort of!  (Read 5237 times)

Kelrick

Welcome back! Sort of!
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:15:12 AM »
I'm a returning player who was pretty active in the mid-90's, and attempted to come back about a year ago to play casually and caught the MUD just before a wipe when no one was logging in. Now, however, I'm getting pkilled quite a bit.  I'm used to randoming happening occasionally, and at first didn't really give it a second thought. However, it's happening on an average of once every few days at this point, and I think I understand why: a lowbie with no clan tags is assumed to be someone's alt, and if you don't know the alt, it's probably someone you don't like. To be fair, the people killing me have been of various clans, so it's not just one group of people.

The problem is that I'm not a member of a clan, mainly because I'm still re-learning how to play and would be pretty useless to them. However, I can't prove I'm not a member of %OTHER_CLAN%, so I get killed as a "trash character" because I have basically nothing and lose what little gear I have (usually - a couple of people have been cool about letting me get it back), and end up starting over either . I have zero problem with pkilling, even randoming - it's part of the game, and I wouldn't have come back if I wasn't cool with it. It's just that I'm getting killed due to a suspicion that I can't disprove - it's not really randoming; it's more of a culling. I don't want to have to ask a clan to take my lame ass just to avoid getting pkilled regularly, but on the other hand having to hope for usable gear on the vendor in Kalaman to replace everything is getting a bit tiresome. :)

If this is just how the MUD is now, it's cool - I can deal, and I don't plan to ragequit over it. I was just hoping to be able to establish myself as a neutral that solos quite a bit and stays out of the way, and I haven't been able to do so as of yet. I'm definitely not against the idea of being clanned, but I have pretty much nothing to offer a clan at the moment. Any ideas or input from people who are/were returnees on how they integrated back into the game would be much appreciated.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Re: Welcome back! Sort of!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:05:51 AM »
if you message me your character name i'll get dele to leave you alone and i can try and lean on sob a bit aswell

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
nice try nate!

Kelrick

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »
Character name is same as forums name - Chopin. I've got a mage alt (Brahms) I've been playing just to try the different robed mages and tests, but I don't know enough (and by "enough", I mean "any") book loads, so if he dies it's not really an issue. :)

And I'm not Nate, but we're once again back to proving a negative. I doubt he lives in Seattle, though, so I'd be happy to meet any of you that do for a beer sometime. :)

Edit: Just read the thread talking about this guy (I assume) losing his shit at being pkilled and threatening to go to people's houses. That's....well, that's special right there. But if he's always rolling lowbies, I can at least understand the comparison when you guys see yet another one.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:10:51 PM by Chopin »

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »
I'm chiming in on this...mostly because I'm neutral this wipe though I'm not opposed to clans, I just can't sink the commitment into zoning regularly like I used to. So I play at my own pace.

This has been tough at times but I have been fortunate enough to be able to explain who I am and generally get left alone, though I certainly can relate.

As for randoming unknowns on the pretense the player might be an alt of someone you are warring, I think that is some of the very worst behavior on the mud. Even if you are right in guessing an enemy alt, what fun is it killing someone < lvl25?

Personally, I prefer killing botters purely on principle. Which is, in my opinion, the only justification for "pure" randoming. An unknown steals your zone, rip 'em. They have a piece of equipment you want, fire at will. But killing and active player (not a bot) in a mid level zone just because you don't recognize the name is just whacked.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
I don't think its the fun... I think its the goal of making your enemy quit before you.  From what I've read on the rants of this wipes warfare, most had zero intention of playing longer than a few weeks.

Davy

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »
I play a non claned cleric named Davy, I will group anytime and think I've established Not Claned status.

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 06:18:52 AM »
Wtf i havnt randomed Chopin yet.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
I just level up to 25 and random pk whoever. If you die that sucks. GG

mavlad