Author Topic: Botting/Multiing Why make something illegal if you're not gonna police it?  (Read 11022 times)

eddiex

• Zoner
Seriously, i'm not even gonna name anyone specific, but the problem hasn't been solved just because there was a forum post and poll on whether or not to do it.  There are still people multiing and there are still people botting.  The former being the more abusive IMO because of the extreme advantage it gives to talented players.  Have one of your lower level immortals or urself create a bot who spams the wholist.  Have an analytical coded system (Oligo seems to be good at this shit) determine which chars are only seen on together (the purpose of multiing is to increase your personal power so they will often have both their chars on at once) or very often seen on together.  Then have an imm check through game logs of these suspected Multi/botters to see how many times suspicious actions have been committed.  Running to the same location without any communication, mysterious tells that are asked to one char and answered by the other, etc.  You must understand that people who multi aren't the shitty players in this game, they are the talented players who crave efficiency.  They would do nothing to undermine their efficiency and it will show in the gamelog.

To make botting more difficult:  REMOVE SCOUTS MESSAGES FOR WHEN INSTINCT IS READY AGAIN, SCOUTS ARE PROBABLY THE MOST COMMON BOTS BECAUSE U CAN LITERALLY HAVE AN OCEAN SCOUT TRIGGERED TO USE INSTINCTS AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT.  Remove similar messages.   It is not that difficult to type score to see if something is ready to use or to simply attempt it, this only allows for someone to trigger themselves to such a command. 

Flair

• Guardian
I do like your plan of trying to police this issue, but honestly I try whenever I am on to look and catch people doing this.  Its been a personal mission of mine since I've become an imm, and have never once not tried to be as vigilant as possible in that regard.  Whenever I am on, please feel free to report to me who/which characters you suspect of this, and I'll look into it to see if any action does in fact need to be taken.  If no imm is visible, take a log of it yourself and send them off to us.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
this thread sure got everybody to shut-up.. coincidence?? i think not! chhheeeeettuurrrrrddzzzzz

eddie: go ahead throw them all under the bus! i got your back :/)

eddiex

• Zoner
While at work today I had a stroke of genius.  Flair, if you are truely serious about taking down these unsavory characters i have divised a relatively surefire system for doing so which i'd like to discuss.  It is a test that will take minimal coding and effort which can be administered in under 5 minutes.  I do not want to disclose all the details yet until i have a second opinion on the viability of such an option.  If you multi or bot, I hope you are scared, because you will be caught.

Dyl

• Zoner
Eddie just invented captcha.

eddiex

• Zoner
I will release more information about this idea tomorrow.  IMO all of the necessary requirements of enforcing anti-multiing policy are available at the current moment.  If the imms who considered allowing multiing but abandoned this idea and maintained that it is illegal refuse to accept this idea, it could only be assumed that they are partial to multi-ing by some players.  It is not difficult to discover if you are multi-ing.  You have been warned.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
keep trying to alienate, persecute and destroy the player base of a game on its death bed.
you are the crusaders in this age of darkness. strike at the infidels my brothers!

btown

• Elder
Hey daniel, how about people just dont bot?  Instead of,  "ooh if you catch these guys cheating they will quit..."  give me a break

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
i could make some argument about my perspective but i'm not going to.
its an issue people are very divided on, but the bottom line is theres no new players coming into this game.
the reality is that every player that quits is another nail in the coffin - and going on some rampant deleting spree (when it now takes about half a lifespan to get to level 30) is not the answer.

i border on quitting all the time when i play because there are so few people during australian evening play times - its simply boring.
i have to rearrange a lot of other facets of my life to be able to be online when my friends are to enjoy arctic which in itself is pathetic
i can tell you now if one or two of my close friends on mud quit because they were punished heavily i'd be gone in a heartbeat and i'm sure i wouldn't be the only one in that position.
does it change the fact that botitng is breaking the rules? of course not. does it mean the problem is more complex than swinging the banhammer? absolutely
i only play because of old friendships and nostalgia. those friends removed, i have no reason left to waste my time. i'm sure many others feel the same way.

btown

• Elder
This didn't happen over night.

You know daniel it is extremely sad  that the most stacked clans and players and most knowledgeable are the ones who abuse all the rules.

This didn't just happen they have been doing it for years.  It is also sad that the rest of the players who prefer not to ****CHEAT**** are the ones who gets screwed by large numbers demanding eq and forcing others out of zones.  Your friends are not botting because they have no friends,  they are botting for an advantage against others and while i roll for a half a life span 1 character there are already some people who have 2-3 legend characters cause they have botted since level 1.  Is that fair?  Ofcourse it isn't

You people sad story of why you need to bot like its a drug is a sad poor story that needs to end. 

SteveO

Seems you're in the minority brandon, if you remember from the vote, allowing multying was the clear and decisive winner(even though imms(hoss) still chose to go against the voice of the majority. Dont hate just because you suck and are stuck with some 4th string shit clan once again because anyone whose any good at this game cannot stand to be around you for more than 5 minutes. Have fun spamming Ct, oh and don't forget being a forum hero.

btown

• Elder
SteveO you are just a follower dont get it twisted,  pretty sure everybody hated you in your last clan and is the main reason you arent in it anymore

btown

• Elder
And you bet damn skippy im in a 4th string clan, but its the strongest 4th string clan out there

Oligo

but the bottom line is theres no new players coming into this game.

I think Daniel pointed out in my opinion the biggest issue.

But I think this is correctable. There are still muds with 150+ players online, so there is clearly a small market for text based games. We just aren't capturing any of it.

I think probably more effort or focus should be on creative marketing, maybe some kind of viral campaign or something on YouTube. Maybe a contest, if a mortal can come up with some kind of marketing campaign or YouTube video that can attract views/visits they get some kind of in-game prize.

I think the new improvements to the game bring former players back to the game, but they don't really bring any new players into the fold.

One simple suggestion I have is instead of putting the vote link as simply text after you login

Welcome to Arctic.

Arctic is a heavily modified DIKU with the experienced player in mind.
Our administration policy is not to interfere with mortal affairs.
Please bear that in mind when asking for assistance.

Please vote for Arctic:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-just.html

*** Press Enter:

I think it should be a hyperlink on the very first login screen:

Welcome to
     ___
    (___)     @@@@@ @@@@@@@@@   @@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@
     ==_     @@@@@@ @@@   @@@@ @@@@  @@@@    @@@       @@@  @@@@  @@@@
     =/.\   @@@@@@@ @@@    @@@ @@@    @@@    @@@       @@@  @@@    @@@
     //-"  @@@@ @@@ @@@   @@@@ @@@           @@@       @@@  @@@
 /--//==---\@@  @@@ @@@@@@@@@  @@@           @@@       @@@  @@@
    \\ | @@@@   @@@ @@@ @@@@   @@@    @@@    @@@       @@@  @@@    @@@
     \\|@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@  @@@@  @@@@  @@@@    @@@       @@@  @@@@  @@@@
     |\\@@@     @@@ @@@   @@@@  @@@@@@@@     @@@     @@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@
     | \\
     | |/ O==========================================================O
     | |  | Based on DikuMUD I by Michael Seifert, Sebastian Hammer, |
    /| |  |   Hans Henrik Staerfeldt, Katja Nyboe, and Tom Madsen.   |
    \\ |  |                                                          |
     \\|  |        Mail may be directed to gods@arcticmud.org        |
     |\\  |Vote for Arctic http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-just.html |
     | \\ |        ** Dont forget to visit our web page! **          |
     | |/ |                 http://arcticmud.org                     |
     \ |  O==========================================================O
      \|

Type 'start' to create a new character.
What is your character's name?
Password:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:41:10 AM by Oligo »

Al

• Favorite Zone: Caverns of Thorbardin
my take on botting is that i couldn't care less about what people do on this game. more characters on a game is better than less characters... it's hard to argue that fact regardless of your stance on the matter. i much rather would see 150 characters on the who list than 30.

what boggles my mind is that botting has existed since the game started. and why do people even care... an anti botting imm police force? that just seems like a waste of resources to me. and to what end? less people playing? any good player will tell you that they'd much rather have a real player over a bot, but the sad fact of the matter is that there are fewer and fewer people playing.

imm resources should be fully allocated to improving the game by adding new content. that's what players want, not big brother looking over their shoulders. i just shake my head in disbelief when i think of how pointless this all is. why bapt with people? take away the players and you lose the game.