Author Topic: HOW TO: Use Magic Rings (attuned) to achieve wealth and glory.  (Read 4477 times)

Episte

HOW TO: Use Magic Rings (attuned) to achieve wealth and glory.
« on: October 27, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
Dear fellow adventurers, I've read the news and found myself venturing to PALANTHAS in search of a mighty silver ring.  My adventures led me to JENNA, who wanted in exchange for a silver ring a stack of coins taller than the great Vallenwood trees of solace.  Many a mighty pigeon was slaughtered in my conquest to BUY a plain silver ring.  Little did I know that Jenna, who is apparently a car dealer in a previously life would require me to BUY MORE stuff....

My plain silver ring...it became MAGICALLY ATTUNED when I recited a scroll of attunement on the ring.  I had to buy several because I tried to attune myself, and then I tried to attune the wrong ring.  I finally discovered a magic phrase of: RECITE ATTUNEMENT PLAIN.SILVER.RING (per help spell attunement -- object in inventory).

After that the ring...it spoke to me!  I ran away in fear of this demonic voice, and the voice died down.  However...I noticed that if I was to INSPECT plain.silver.ring it began speaking anew to me.  It even changed what it said every couple hours.

Out of curiosity I ventured to extinguish the one-handed wombats of Tarsis, and after slaughtering many of their minions my ring...It grew closer to me.  Like that one time I stepped on gum.  Despite the King of the wombats slaughtering me, I found my ring loved me so much it magically moved to the VAULT following death!  Hooray.  Me and my talking ring of neurosis were reunited and managed to slaughter the lord king Wombat.  It needed time to digest his fatness but after 12 hours from his death cry the ring began speaking to me again. 

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
Re: HOW TO: Use Magic Rings (attuned) to achieve wealth and glory.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
I had to buy several because I tried to attune myself, and then I tried to attune the wrong ring.  I finally discovered a magic phrase of: RECITE ATTUNEMENT PLAIN.SILVER.RING (per help spell attunement -- object in

Thanks, I would never have figured out that magic phrase from the help files.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:17:57 PM by gnua »

Rednax

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
Any clarification on how to use the drain magic scrolls/spell? or is there a restriction on what items can it be used on? I've tried using it on some MAGIC items but nothing happens. If it's used on a non Magic item it fails.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 07:14:33 AM »
Each ring is bound to the buyer? So in order to advance a ring on a dk you have to buy the scrolls right?

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 09:14:57 AM »
Each ring is bound to the buyer? So in order to advance a ring on a dk you have to buy the scrolls right?

you dont need to buy the scrolls.  you need to do two things:
1.  have your dk go kill things the ring tells you to kill (no need for scrolls) to get attunement (kind of like rank points)
2.  drain magic items to create motes (kind of like coins).  your mage can cast drain magic (instead of your dk using scroll) and then you can transfer the motes to your dk

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 10:19:48 AM »
Any clarification on how to use the drain magic scrolls/spell? or is there a restriction on what items can it be used on? I've tried using it on some MAGIC items but nothing happens. If it's used on a non Magic item it fails.

Sometimes when it fails i get the 'magic fails' message from detect magic but some times i do not.  And I'm also not sure if the failure is because the item is not eligible for draining or because something else has gone wrong. (inappropriate room, cooldown, % failure, typo).  I successfully drained my conclave gloves but when I bought another pair, those wouldnt drain. 

adepali

• Administrator
  • Fodder
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »
I'll check the case when no 'The magic fails' message appears.
As for the gloves, all items generated by merchants are NO_DISENCHANT. This applies only to items purchased after enchantment went live, which explains why you managed to disenchant your old pair of gloves.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
I'll check the case when no 'The magic fails' message appears.
As for the gloves, all items generated by merchants are NO_DISENCHANT. This applies only to items purchased after enchantment went live, which explains why you managed to disenchant your old pair of gloves.

thanks for the clarification.  I'll post which example items which give and do not give 'the magic fails' when i get the chance.

octan

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 08:17:27 AM »
Suggestion, to foster people grouping together, why not when characters in group working on the same quest get bonus attunement gain?  Also, is the missing attunement gains when in group a bug or by design?

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
Suggestion, to foster people grouping together, why not when characters in group working on the same quest get bonus attunement gain?  Also, is the missing attunement gains when in group a bug or by design?

I think the design is to only give a chance at attunement gain in a group, a bit like how you get less xp in a group.