NEWS > Development News

Stun and nightmare

(1/9) > >>

Jorquin:
These are going to be put under the microscope. Powerful spells are fun, however the recent spree of blitzkrieg attacks has highlighted that their current state is overpowered in the PK environment. Internal debate has also yielded a perspective of mages being fairly balanced for PVE, however the PK situation must change. This has already been agreed upon and is not subject to debate. The real question is what that change looks like. This thread is effectively an ideas canvas. We're open to suggestions both large and small.

One idea that has been touted is to create three different "power word" spells for the different robes and abolish PWS completely. The resulting spells could be something along the lines of:

"Power word shield" for White Robe - area spell absorbtion, damage reduction or immunity for a set number of rounds
"Power word locate" for Red Robes - lists the current room name of every player online - lengthy cooldown attached
"Power word cripple" for Black Robes - save vs spell or have increased damage taken, minus concentration and fumble chance applied

Another idea is just to rework save vs spell entirely to give players more opportunity to rank / itemize against "mage blitz" strategy.

Post your thoughts & comments below, we'd love to hear them.

Kadaj:
I never really liked the idea of every mage having PWS available to them. I feel like you can't just go change it now, especially since A. Some mages have it and B. Some mages rolled specific robes in order to get it. I really like the idea of three different 'power word' spells.

Power word shield - I like the idea of area spell absorption or damage reduction, maybe a group haste similar to bolster that can only be casted once every 15 rounds?
Power word force - area force missile with all the perks of force missile - explode/bash ect
Power word cripple - This sounds like a lot of the spells black robes have now that no one uses Chaos, Devastation, Mass Hysteria.

White robes are the group buffer/defensive mages, they already have an area cleanse and can transfer spells to their group mates.  Perhaps a group wide haste with a cooldown, maybe something similar to acid mist but with fire or arcane damage and has a chance to resist being gusted away. Or the ability to disable disabling affects for a short time, immune to stun/group mindshield.

Red robes are the utility class, they locate the best, have a lot of things to do with mobility ect but they lack in the AoE department that Blacks and Whites have. I think something with an area force missile or area force bolt would be pretty cool if it ha the chance to explode from each one for more area damage or to bash the targets like FB/FM do.

Black robes are the offensive mages, they excel at dealing area damage and disruption on the battlefield. The black robes mages are tough to balance, they have great single target spells in pain, constrict heart, energy drain and rend. Perhaps their new spell could lower the resistances of targets or allow their spells to bypass resistances. Ever try to tent a group of NPP mobs? Or fight a pair of NPP mobs that aren't 'human' so you can't rend/pain them? it's awful. 

These are just off the top of my head, I think there is plenty of room to improve on these spells. I think adding PWS to every mage was perhaps a little over the top but with lack of coders, you did what you could with the resources you had.

I look forward to reading other suggestions.

Episte:

--- Quote from: Kadaj on October 07, 2016, 02:23:03 PM ---I never really liked the idea of every mage having PWS available to them. I feel like you can't just go change it now, especially since A. Some mages have it and B. Some mages rolled specific robes in order to get it. I really like the idea of three different 'power word' spells.

Power word shield - I like the idea of area spell absorption or damage reduction, maybe a group haste similar to bolster that can only be casted once every 15 rounds?
Power word force - area force missile with all the perks of force missile - explode/bash ect
Power word cripple - This sounds like a lot of the spells black robes have now that no one uses Chaos, Devastation, Mass Hysteria.

--- End quote ---

okay here's 3 random power spell ideas.

Power word subversion - disbands group/following structure of those not grouped with caster + sublimates all those who fail save
Power word scatter - mass teleports mob/pvp opponent group around the same zone (for those who fail) - could be painful, or funny?
Power word splinter - makes failed targets ignore_healing_effects (heal/cure/cure blind/etc) for 6-12 rounds

Toinu:
Remove it, with regret because it was a nice strong class addition. But mages have prismatic spray which is PK effective and also implies saving against. Prism is debilitating but not as deadly as PWS. If there is a PWS, it should be one of the beams of prism, which would focus the debate entirely around upping or nerfing prism.

Ezio:
More opportunity to defend it would be great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version