Author Topic: time for opt NO_PK?  (Read 3706 times)

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
time for opt NO_PK?
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »
in the long ago past pkilling was one of the most fun aspects of arctic for me.  when the numbers were high randoming was everywhere and pkilling was fun.  you'd be more likely to get attacked by a lvl 20 with shop equipment than a group of level 30s.  and if you attacked someone over looting your coins they would recall and that would be the end of it.  today if i attacked someone for stealing my coins id be highlighted by their entire clan and hunted for the rest of the wipe.  all the fun has gone out of it.

highlighting is only part of it though.  characters have just gotten too strong.  on a whim a single mage can relocate to a group of neutrals, throw down a few nightmares and poof back to his clan in time to catch the next tic.  its not even pkilling.  its an extermination.  the neutrals have no chance to ever kill this person back and even worse they have the knowlege that it can happen again at any time.  hours of effort by multiple people just erased by a single player in seconds.  if it was only a couple of players in the game who had that kind of power it might be okay.  Maybe.  but i bet there are 40+ people who could take down a high level group of neutrals with similar ease.

why would anyone who doesnt want to join a large clan play such a game?  the answer - they wouldnt and we dont.

someone just posted about this but im going to steal it.  imagine there were 2 arctics.  1 the same as it is now and another one with pkilling optional.  is there any doubt which one would draw the most players?

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Re: time for opt NO_PK?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:47 PM »
opt no_pk is fine, but you'd have to make it so you cant opt no_pk with any item thats limit 1-2. otherwise whats to stop me stacking myself with the best unique equipment and just going opt no_pk to prevent my enemies from getting it?

it also opens the doors for serious abuse. whats to stop me from going opt no_pk and running into a zone to do some keyword to break the zone that my enemies are in? you can't kill me, so how do you stop it? whine to imms? see the "we don't want to be policing" posts in the multi'ing thread
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:53:41 PM by daniel_1 »

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:21 AM »
opt no_pk is fine, but you'd have to make it so you cant opt no_pk with any item thats limit 1-2. otherwise whats to stop me stacking myself with the best unique equipment and just going opt no_pk to prevent my enemies from getting it?

maybe instead of an option you can turn on or off it could be a choice in character creation.  once you pick pvp or pve you are stuck with that character type for good.  then you could make the best items NO_PVE and they would zap you unless you were a pvp char.

it also opens the doors for serious abuse. whats to stop me from going opt no_pk and running into a zone to do some keyword to break the zone that my enemies are in?

i dont know how to avoid that one.  people would definitely abuse it because that is what people do.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »
This is an old idea, brought up many times before.

I don't think limited-pk can mix with Arctic well.  We will talk about it more in Lube, but for now this is a dead end.

If anyone has grander ideas on pk systems I am all ears. I have my own ideas, but its good to get stuff from outside my perspective.