Author Topic: 6) Reroll this character.  (Read 5823 times)

Keila

6) Reroll this character.
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
We snuck a small feature into the most recent reboot of the game.

When a character is level 3-9, and they proceed to the main login menu, they will be presented with a new choice.

6) Reroll this character.

** The bug with rerolling and primary stat has been fixed in game **

Selecting this option will allow you to reset your character to level 1. You will retain all of your equipment and money, but will lose all other progress on the character. If you have lored the character (or potion of knowledge etc) you will be presented with a list of your ability scores and have the option to select one to lock in for your next roll.

If you havn't lored, you can still reroll, but it will not give you the option to lock a particular ability score.

The following is an example of the output from the feature.

Code: [Select]
Make a choice: 6

If you choose to reroll your character, you will be set back to level 1.
You will lose all spells and skills that you have gained, but you will
retain all of your equipment and money. This option allows you to reroll
your stats when you hit level 2 again.

Are you sure you want to reroll? (Y/N) : y

Your ability scores for this roll were:
    (1) Strength:  10   (2) Intelligence: 23   (3) Wisdom:   18
    (4) Dexterity: 15   (5) Constitution: 11   (6) Charisma: 15

Which score would you like to save? (N for none, Q to cancel) : 2

You have selected to lock your Intelligence at 23.

Your character has been reset to level 1. Good luck!

If you run into any issues, or have any other suggestions for this feature, please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:39:12 AM by Keila »

skeetulrich

Re: 6) Reroll this character.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:51:06 PM »
this is a good idea, promote the person who thought of it

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »
:)

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »
That is pretty sick! Great change.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 07:49:31 PM »
nice feature, it would have been great even without the lockin

Rhys

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 12:54:17 AM »
Could be just me but I think you loose you primary stay bonus on reroll??

Keila

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 01:17:16 AM »
Could be just me but I think you loose you primary stay bonus on reroll??

This does appear to be the case. I've got a fix ready and will look to get it pushed live some time later this morning.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 05:55:44 AM »
Continuity. Play time and deaths don't get wiped. Might be a 'feature' but if it is it's not a true reroll.

I might be wrong on this one bit it seems to be a bug.

If I start with 48 hp and i keep my con stat, i start with 50hp at level 1 instead. I think it's rolling your hp going into level 2 based off a 50hp level 1 instead of 48.

oom

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:40 AM »
Seems to me that maybe stats aren't normally rolled at lvl 1 so you have 'generic' stats like all 14 or something, but because you locked in your stat you have 23 con so the 2 hp is probably your con bonus.

Keila

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 08:24:16 AM »
Continuity. Play time and deaths don't get wiped. Might be a 'feature' but if it is it's not a true reroll.
It doesn't actually delete the character and remake it, its just resetting most of the stats to 0, and allowing for a new roll when you get to level 2. I didn't think resetting deaths or play time was that important so they didn't make it in. If people feel strongly that they should get reset it can be changed.

If I start with 48 hp and i keep my con stat, i start with 50hp at level 1 instead. I think it's rolling your hp going into level 2 based off a 50hp level 1 instead of 48.
Oom is right on this one. The way it works mechanically is your stat is set from level one, so your base hit points are the same, you may have extra hits from your con bonus.

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
It doesn't actually delete the character and remake it, its just resetting most of the stats to 0, and allowing for a new roll when you get to level 2. I didn't think resetting deaths or play time was that important so they didn't make it in. If people feel strongly that they should get reset it can be changed.

Oom is right on this one. The way it works mechanically is your stat is set from level one, so your base hit points are the same, you may have extra hits from your con bonus.

Yep that's the same conclusion I came to. That definitely needs to be fixed though because any min maxer will always save con when rolling for the extra hp.

lurker

• Fodder
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 11:36:02 AM »
Yep that's the same conclusion I came to. That definitely needs to be fixed though because any min maxer will always save con when rolling for the extra hp.

I've been thinking about it, not sure I agree.

It's almost optimal to go with a method like this:

1- start new character, pick important stat that is not easily tested

2- at 2, test trivially easily tested stats (for example, wis on a cleric or druid)

3- if stats bad, delete and goto 1.

4- level to 3, lore, compare to known optimal rolls

5- go to 6 if stats are optimal or close enough, otherwise reroll.

So if you lock in Con, you might have a couple extra hp at level 1 for your rolling efforts, but you lose some valuable level 2 feedback. I'm not sure everyone would always lock in con, and I'm not convinced that a couple HP difference is all that meaningful.

Keila

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »

Without peeling back the curtain to far, all I can say is there is there is no permanent benefit from picking con versus another stat.

The bug with primary stat and rerolling has been rectified.

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »

Without peeling back the curtain to far, all I can say is there is there is no permanent benefit from picking con versus another stat.

If you say so...i saw some weird 1-2 gains in that case

oom

• Fodder
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 05:57:14 PM »

If you say so...i saw some weird 1-2 gains in that case

Your hp at lvl one is the same you just have a con bonus. Con doesn't change hp gains it's a static bonus. So basically those extra hps at lvl 1 are the same as if you were wearing +con gear at lvl one. Not sure if that makes sense or not but that's what I've come to understand.

So if you start at 48 hp and get a 20 hp gain at lvl 2 you probably really got an 18 gain and the con bonus kicked in those extra 2 hp because that con bonus from getting your stats gives you a retroactive bonus so to speak.