Poll

PK vs non-PK?

I'm for Pkill per the current rules!
34 (44.7%)
It's time to make this MUD PK free to bring in some fresh players!
4 (5.3%)
Option_Pkill (see below)
38 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: December 23, 2016, 10:47:19 AM

Author Topic: Pkilling poll  (Read 16700 times)

jingo

Re: Pkilling poll
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »
+1 on the idea that: the more complicated the rules are, the more holes in it there will be.  Given this I tend to prefer simpler designs. I've worked on a few Diku based MUDs, and at least on them completely separating PK from NO_PK characters would have been an ad-hoc mess.  But I don't know how Arctic's code base has evolved with respect to target acquiring so I don't know how involved (and buggy) it would be.

I voted for PK.  It was never my main focus, and nowadays when I play I never participate.  That said, it being present changes how I play the game.  But I may be biased since I usually can avoid PK if I don't want to participate.

That said, I've played on some games where pkill didn't cause you to drop a corpse.  Players adapted and learned to "rkill" - real kill, which basically meant using mobs to finish players off.  The staff approved of it, which added an interesting layer to player combat, requiring more nuance and skill than in Arctic's system.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:17:30 AM by jingo »

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »
how about just changing the pkill results instead of the rules?  Suppose when you die to pk, you dont lose any xp and you keep all your 'trash' gear.  pkill has always been about hastes, nobashes, and other top tier gear.  that way fodder/neutrals can zone without fear of loss but can still be killed if they create trouble.

lurker

• Fodder
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »

You do that, and "trash" can pkill geared characters at will with no risk of death. A change like that would actually result in a lot more random pk, IMO, because the stakes are lower.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
You do that, and "trash" can pkill geared characters at will with no risk of death. A change like that would actually result in a lot more random pk, IMO, because the stakes are lower.

so keep the xp/gear loss penalties the same for aggressives/legends who die then
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:43:26 AM by gnua »

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
my friend had this idea to have a couple days a week set as no_pk days and see what happens. 

look at how the game is right now already.  core cant even play like at all.  is that healthy for the game?  and the rest of us are getting looked at and probably highlighted as core because we have a decent rolling weapon to go with our training gear.

rise is actually being pretty nice so far and not just wiping the mud clean of every unknown who is slightly suspicious, but i still think a no_pk day would be a good thing.  it would give core a chance to re-equip and might help rise judge who is not core.

i suspect some people would only play on no_pkill days

Sialleba

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 01:08:04 AM »
my friend had this idea to have a couple days a week set as no_pk days and see what happens. 

look at how the game is right now already.  core cant even play like at all.  is that healthy for the game?  and the rest of us are getting looked at and probably highlighted as core because we have a decent rolling weapon to go with our training gear.

rise is actually being pretty nice so far and not just wiping the mud clean of every unknown who is slightly suspicious, but i still think a no_pk day would be a good thing.  it would give core a chance to re-equip and might help rise judge who is not core.

Its mildly disturbing to watch them harass someone who was allegedly just in a skype channel. Apparently even communicating with CORE will get you harassed and killed now.

Also attempting to harass people into deleting their characters and to reroll from 1 again. This is not healthy for the MUD to have people doing that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:48:49 AM by Sialleba »

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »
if core dont come back i wonder how long it will be until rise gets bored and deletes the next clan from the game?

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2016, 12:53:55 PM »
Also attempting to harass people into deleting their characters and to reroll from 1 again. This is not healthy for the MUD to have people doing that sort of thing.

history has shown that deleting rise is worse for the player base than letting them stomp everyone else into the ground

jingo

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 01:10:41 PM »
history has shown that deleting rise is worse for the player base than letting them stomp everyone else into the ground
Character deletion is reactionary though.  Presumably the clan that got stomped into the ground just quit, then when you delete Rise they quit too.

The point is to try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

oom

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 01:14:57 PM »

Its mildly disturbing to watch them harass someone who was allegedly just in a skype channel. Apparently even communicating with CORE will get you harassed and killed now.

OK. This is pretty funny. Wesley left MYTH to join CORE. This was told to everyone in MYTH before the wipe so everyone knew. RISE killed Graham's multi and he took it well and got his stuff back. RISE killed Wesley's multi and gave him almost all his stuff back and he just told us we were pieces of crap over and over and denied he was CORE. Then Graham came in and said 'wesley the gig is up make your peace'.

There was no alleged anything.

I don't like to get into the trash talk stuff but the fact is CORE attacked RISE on day one about 2 hours into the wipe and again on day 2 about 20 hours in the wipe. I don't think RISE is to blame because they ended up winning the fight CORE initiated so early in the wipe.

I feel bad for the people who logged off after 20 hours and logged back on to find most of the clan quit because they failed an ambush. As far as I know the only person to ask for peace got it.

Sialleba

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 01:36:06 PM »

OK. This is pretty funny. Wesley left MYTH to join CORE. This was told to everyone in MYTH before the wipe so everyone knew. RISE killed Graham's multi and he took it well and got his stuff back. RISE killed Wesley's multi and gave him almost all his stuff back and he just told us we were pieces of crap over and over and denied he was CORE. Then Graham came in and said 'wesley the gig is up make your peace'.

There was no alleged anything.

I don't like to get into the trash talk stuff but the fact is CORE attacked RISE on day one about 2 hours into the wipe and again on day 2 about 20 hours in the wipe. I don't think RISE is to blame because they ended up winning the fight CORE initiated so early in the wipe.

I feel bad for the people who logged off after 20 hours and logged back on to find most of the clan quit because they failed an ambush. As far as I know the only person to ask for peace got it.

I think the point you are missing here is that harassing people into quitting or deleting is unnacceptable behavior. Its one thing to pk people or be at war, its another to drive them away from the game altogether through verbal(text) abuse.

oom

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »

I think the point you are missing here is that harassing people into quitting or deleting is unnacceptable behavior. Its one thing to pk people or be at war, its another to drive them away from the game altogether through verbal(text) abuse.

This really didn't happen the way you seem to think it did.

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
i didnt know core attacked first haha.   that changes everything

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 01:50:06 PM »
Wesley do I really need to copy and paste the shit you were telling us? Or can you just stop lying. If you can't handle the war life, ask for peace.

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 02:53:50 AM »
I dont see how this guy can complain about anything.  Core attacked in bali underground, issued death threats at the thorbadin druid, and then ambushed us at aspre.  ilya does not rush a warrior without the intention of fighting a war.  lets be real here, core had a gameplan at the beginning of the wipe and executed it very nicely until they went full retard and came to fight us in Solace where we rent.  Now the CORE leadership is crumbling and have left the peasants out to dry. 

for the core players that have asked for peace so far, it was simple.  dont group with core, and title yourself something like  -- Marc, Rise Im Sorry
so if  you dont know what happened or the situation then why comment with your speculation. or should i paste the core skype chat logs here for our entertainment.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:30:49 AM by xellos »