Poll

PK vs non-PK?

I'm for Pkill per the current rules!
34 (44.7%)
It's time to make this MUD PK free to bring in some fresh players!
4 (5.3%)
Option_Pkill (see below)
38 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: December 23, 2016, 10:47:19 AM

Author Topic: Pkilling poll  (Read 16698 times)

Justinian

• God
Pkilling poll
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:47:19 AM »
This my own poll and nothing to do with future plans in the game or current staff.

Something that a former player discussed with me and I am checking to see what the current playerbase views are.   Is Pkill still a necessary part of this MUD with such a low playerbase?   Does it hurt new player retention?  Without Pkilling does the game get stale?

A former player's suggestion:
Option_Pkill - an optional permanent flag on new characters that makes them opt out of pkilling in the game.   This flag would have restrictions on limited/rare items and items considered "hot"(ie stolen or pkill victim loot).  I'm sure there could be some other restrictions but that would be the main one.

I personally was never much into pk when I played as a mortal, I could count my experience pkilling on one hand though I was a target plenty of times.  I generally have always stayed clear of it in any other MMORPG's I've played, I generally leave the PvP to all those FPS games out there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:14:49 PM by Justinian »

adepali

• Administrator
  • Fodder
Re: Pkilling poll
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »
Option_PK got my vote. This would include any alternative system that makes pk less punishing.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
I voted option pkill, but there's concerns about how to actually implement it, and how it would impact clan warfare in general.  If I'm the only one interested in pkill in my clan am I by default bapted because a 10man group will walk in to our 10man and I'm dead in .2 rounds?  For some, their choice would be based around those they play with and we all know how easy it is in this game is to switch allegiances.

Rednax

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »
I voted for leaving pk as it is, even though I am very much against pk. Granted I feel I am in a similar situation as Justinian has been, where I have been a target quite a lot and PK'd very little. And even when I do, it usually ends up being against someone that another clan mate has stirred up trouble with!

Disallowing it entirely with limited items is a bad idea. If you're going to disallow it entirely then I think that an earlier suggestion somewhere else calling for nolimit on all items but with low load percentages is probably the way to go.

Opt pk might run into a few problems. If you're charmed at a fight and start hitting a person whose pk is off, what happens then? If gear is limited and I happen to run into a limit 5 item at the merchant, can I flat out not buy it? And what if I make a noPk cleric bot to heal me?

As much as I hate PK I think in the current system it is fine as it is. Just as long as an 8 man bot army or some thief at the tollhouse doesn't slaughter me every time I make my way out the inn.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:38:28 PM by Rednax »

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »
Voted optinal pk so my healer can not be targetted in pk. If this isnt the case i would like to change my vote to keep it as is..

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 02:40:22 PM »
Take away pk but change the name to the care bears pls

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:43:59 PM »
Also, griefing, zone stealing, item looting, being a miserable ass to others in tells/shouts - doesn't leave much room for retaliation

Oligo

• Immortal
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dunmir
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »

+1

Justinian

• God
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 03:30:50 PM »
Some people enjoy the Pk aspect of the game and like the risk vs reward.   Some people don't enjoy Pk and want to explore the game without that concern.   Some people are even in the middle and can go either way.

All I'm saying is give players the opt out.   It will come with some restrictions, both in design(restricted loot and no aiding other players in a PvP situation etc) and in the game(no way to retaliate if somehow griefed, at least on the character that is opted out).   

The more options players have, the more players likely to play and the MUD lasts longer.   I'm really thinking a lot about new players here.   They are few and far between these days. If their first view of the game is getting pk'd a few times as they are learning the game then they have a much higher chance of moving on to another game.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:32:38 PM by Justinian »

Lashric

• Favorite Zone: Bloodshoal
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
At least this poll proved not all are spineless.

newbie123321

• Fodder
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 05:43:54 PM »

+1

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »
Is pk really even a problem?  It seems like it hardly ever happens, based on the last 2 wipes, there are maybe 3 or 4 decent group pks.  Randoming, tetherbashing, etc still happens, I guess, but not on any significant scale.  Or maybe I've just not seen much of it...

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »
A change like this pushes people away, and whether it would actually bring anyone in is very questionable.

The number of RPG's out there is very high these days. Total equipment loss on death and the merciless nature of Arctic is what differentiates us from other games. I see no reason to make a change that would push our game towards the standard RPG format. At a fundamental level we do not have the resources to compete with commercial RPGs in terms of content production. We rely on our uniqueness, player loyalty and general nostalgia in order to remain relevant. Making a change that potentially compromises all three of these strengths is bad.

newbie123321

• Fodder
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
nice options you fascists!

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 09:32:54 PM »
I'm sure you're a stand up dude, but this thread is dumb.