Author Topic: Why do people quit?  (Read 10790 times)

Rinad

• Immortal
  • Favorite Zone: Deep Mines
Re: Why do people quit?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »
I agree with the previous two for the most part like 75%, 25% is Real Life expectations, obligations and other circumstances.   

Amar

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and post.  The last 5-6 wipes I've played I've quit because trying to play the game as a neutral becomes tedious and not fun after getting "flagged" as an evil by %RandomClannedPerson.  The reason for the flagging never is the same, sometimes it's because I got an item off the world merchant that "only an %EnemyClan person can get", or "You grouped with %KnownUntaggedEvilAlt.  The whole process of trying to prove that you are indeed a non-clanned neutral to people who believe in the scorched earth policy of warfare is pointless.  It's easier to just quit and play something else then try and dodge characters with vastly superior gear, spells, and allies.

I realize this is a game of teaming up, but not everyone wants to join a big clan and do big group fights.  I've played the game off and on since hobbes, and the mentality that you must win at all costs has been a serious detriment to the game in my opinion. 

-Amar

Rhys

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and post.  The last 5-6 wipes I've played I've quit because trying to play the game as a neutral becomes tedious and not fun after getting "flagged" as an evil by %RandomClannedPerson.  The reason for the flagging never is the same, sometimes it's because I got an item off the world merchant that "only an %EnemyClan person can get", or "You grouped with %KnownUntaggedEvilAlt.  The whole process of trying to prove that you are indeed a non-clanned neutral to people who believe in the scorched earth policy of warfare is pointless.  It's easier to just quit and play something else then try and dodge characters with vastly superior gear, spells, and allies.

I realize this is a game of teaming up, but not everyone wants to join a big clan and do big group fights.  I've played the game off and on since hobbes, and the mentality that you must win at all costs has been a serious detriment to the game in my opinion. 

-Amar

Ditto.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 07:49:47 PM »
Seems to me that family and malicious people involved with the game(either playing, or abusing power)seem to be the two common themes here. hopefully if some folks see these reasons they might start to grasp what they can do to better this game a little bit and keep people from quitting in the future for as long as possible.

maybe avoid deleting people immediatly... having children... and overhunting targets into quitting. much nicer when there are 30-50 bodies online than it is with only 12.

some stuff is unavoidable though, i get a lot of people go back to school and have some pretty intense jobs and or other real life commitments, but we might as well not give any reasons to quit that could be avoided.

Lewis

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »

-Amar

Ditto.

Ditto Ditto

lurker

• Fodder
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »
Amar makes a great point.

Beryv

• Immortal
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
I think its the overall time commitment that needs to be put in to be an elite player. I'm not saying this should change, however, it is pretty daunting and for people who don't have 2 - 10 hours a day to play it can be dissatisfying if you feel like you are falling behind the rest of the player base simply because you cant put in the same number of man hours. Grinding out skills in particular feels terrible if you don't have a ton of time to commit and don't know how to write a bot script.

I would actually be curious if anybody thinks a progressive skill system makes sense. I.e., for those rushing to get legend quick you have to do the full extent of repetitive actions to superb out all skills. For those building a character slowly (i.e. over many Arctic years), the amount of repetition necessary starts to adjust downwards incrementally with age. Thus making the process a little less painful for people who can't or won't rush a character to legend within weeks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:32:09 PM by Beryv »

Andrew

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 01:13:12 AM »
I had a conversation with Aristox about "why people quit" 12 years ago back when this MUD averaged 130 players during 18 of the days 24 hours.  The last 6 hours would have had 70-80 players.  My theory then was that people are quitting [or will quit] because the imms keep making content harder.  Imms (or changes implemented by imms) keep forcing people to join larger and larger clans.  They implemented a legendary system that requires 30 million experience to gain 1 level (back when it was hard to get, and you'd lose ~20 million for dying), which meant that anyone who wanted to gain legendary ranks had to join a large clan.  Aristox told me that he didn't like large clans, that he didn't want people teaming up into 40-50 man squads, and that he didn't want the MUD controlled by 2 factions.  And he said he made the game harder to discourage that.  I told him it only ENCOURAGED that because the only way to get the best stuff would be to be IN those 40-50 man squads because everything was so damn hard to do.  Anyway, in the past, I would speculate that people quit because the game was too difficult.  When the game averaged 170-180 players, the beauty was that you, and 4-5 friends, could do almost any boss in the game. 

Unfortunately, to "discourage" large clans, imms made the game harder and harder, which actually had the opposite effect (ie, creating large clans, making it less fun for everyone). 

I think people quit today for a variety of reasons unrelated to the game .. games with better graphics, family commitments, boredom, etc.  But I think people quit in the past because of a policy put in place by the administering staff whereby only the largest, best equipped groups could get to 40% of the end game content.  Stupid-effing-policy.

kmark101

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 01:23:49 AM »
Here we go again, people quit cause of this retard bapting 8 person group limit, ppl being benched already playing other games, slowly killing all interest. Why on earth you have to force this 8 person idiotic shit while you see its consequences every single wipe is beyond me

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 02:59:52 AM »
Here we go again, people quit cause of this retard bapting 8 person group limit, ppl being benched already playing other games, slowly killing all interest. Why on earth you have to force this 8 person idiotic shit while you see its consequences every single wipe is beyond me

i wish i had this problem.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 04:43:43 AM »
Imaginary friends work to Joe! Just give your bots real people names and interact with them.

Shimopy

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »
I usually quit for 2 reasons, both related to clans (the second reason more strongly related):

1) I run out of stuff to do as a neutral. It's very hard to get a group of people together who are willing to sit there and spend hours figuring out keywords. Most people would rather be dragged through zones by experienced leaders, and so they end up joining clans. I can't blame them, because I fully admit I usually don't have several hours a day to spend figuring out keywords, and for me, keywords are the least fun part of this game. It's tough for those of us who prefer to stay neutral.

2) Even when I zone with or join a clan, one of two things tends to happen: either the leader is extremely demanding and treats everyone like fodder, making the game feel like a full-time job; or I get treated like a spy. People demand to know my first and last name (which is unheard of in any other online game I've played), and my entire history of playing Arctic (which characters I played 5+ wipes ago, just in case I was forever marked as "evil" for some reason). I've been accused of being a spy because I went away for the weekend and didn't log on.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
I think the reason why people quit is the xp grind. It's a joke that it takes 40 million xp to go from 29-30. Also when you die you lose 10 million xp which is a joke. If xp tables were fixed I feel Rise would have more competition.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
2) Even when I zone with or join a clan, one of two things tends to happen: either the leader is extremely demanding and treats everyone like fodder, making the game feel like a full-time job; or I get treated like a spy. People demand to know my first and last name (which is unheard of in any other online game I've played), and my entire history of playing Arctic (which characters I played 5+ wipes ago, just in case I was forever marked as "evil" for some reason). I've been accused of being a spy because I went away for the weekend and didn't log on.

Nah, this is less to do with them thinking you're a spy and more so a pack of sociopaths wanting to figure out if you'd ever slighted them in any way so they can punish you.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »
I use peoples real names personally because over the years yes some have snuck into the group just to find our weaknesses and then in some cases fight, also it makes it much more personal when people know your name,  this game is NOT call of duty, we all pretty much know eachother....

Its not like I show up at most peoples houses and ask them to come out for dinner a beer and become my best friend, i just like to know the person im chatting with for sometimes a dozen straight hours. And people use voice chat in LOTS of other games so why be so shy in one where it actually makes a difference?

In most cases if you are stuck fighting a war you dont want to be in, the enemy clan tends to give peace pretty easily if you just humble yourself and ask for it. So being killed off of the mud really isnt something that RISE for instance is trying to promote, i was peaced pretty easily just had to admit defeat and move on. As long are you arent spouting off every curseword you know, you can probably get peace as well. Honestly this wipe is pretty awesome there are lots of people around, plenty of groups for even neutral folk to find all day long, and all kinds of fun keywords to refigure out because of stinky daniel to boot!(thanks you hoser)

And for the record you ARE fodder, until you are leading hahahaha