Author Topic: Locate object / Astral locator  (Read 19615 times)

blackmagus

• Zoner
Re: Locate object / Astral locator
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 11:17:56 PM »
I honestly think this is a terrible idea. Astral location and read magic are the penultimate Red Robe spells and make the class the utility that it is. Why change the game to only regarding folks who are able to consistently field a large group and can afford to grind a zone over and over circa World of Warcraft?

Smaller groups or those with limited availability rely on a mage locating a decent load in order to make the run worthwhile. Instead of nerfing these spells, why not make the elite tier equipment and items no locate or at the very least hard locate?

The PK aspect is the biggest one I can think of as being why the spell shouldn't be removed. We've made poofing to find enemies both pointless and suicidal, so how else are we going to find out if clan x is hiding in a random zone than by taking advantage of a druid and mage tracking down the ill gotten loot?

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 11:25:33 PM »

The PK aspect is the biggest one I can think of as being why the spell shouldn't be removed. We've made poofing to find enemies both pointless and suicidal, so how else are we going to find out if clan x is hiding in a random zone than by taking advantage of a druid and mage tracking down the ill gotten loot?

To find enemy mages use teleport spell, not locate. Locate is defensive/offensive scout tool in PK. You locate corpses to see a enemy progress in the zone. You locate chest or recalls or robes to see uknown enemy or random traveller in the zone with enemy. You locate enemy gear in the town be4 you like to leave a peace room. You locate enemy gear to see if they running into your group and its time to haste up.

newbie123321

• Fodder
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 01:38:36 AM »
Great Idea! For sure need to replace it with something to keep tabs of players and improve track or hunt.

newbie123321

• Fodder
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 01:40:15 AM »
One thing I hate is people spamming IRC saying BOOK UP HELP ME HELP ME
THANK GOD NO MORE OF THAT! We will have to just run a zone instead will make the game better for sure! ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY JORQUIN! FOR MAKING ARCTIC GREAT AGAIN!

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 02:14:28 AM »
spell replacement:

locate RP

there are 25 mobs with over 50% rank nearby.
there are 100 mobs over 10% rank nearby.

yes you may now worship me.

Rhys

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 03:58:50 AM »
Removing locate is a brilliant idea. Never like soloing a zone with the thought that it has probably already been located. Don't say "roll a Mage". I shouldn't have to.

breiner

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 07:06:24 AM »
Locate is a great tool both as a time saver and as an explorative tool, and as Loretta mentions in pk (which the spell really isn't used for that much these days I assume).
Removing it would definitely hamper those who don't already know all the inns and outs of a specific zone.
If there are specific items that you'd rather not be located make those no_locate instead.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 01:38:26 AM »
If locate is removed, Clair needs to be fixed.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 01:45:43 AM »
man if locate were removed from mages i think they'd need a dps buff... I mean realistically since prism\blastwave\nightmare\thunderbolt nerfs, why would anybody play a mage when melee classes can significantly outDPS them without ever having to mem or catch tics... I mean a double massacre warrior with punch and kick are going to out dps a 30 casting level mage, and we not even talking about sky scouts, m scouts, paladins, dks, barbarians gawd damn

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 02:45:18 AM »
What about globe and bashing spells and AMS and mirrors/folds/spheres/flesh shields/etc etc etc. A fully spelled out mage can last longer in fights than many melee hitters.

I would take locate out completely and put a scroll version in. Level 30 scroll that sells for 300-500coins.

There is something to be said for zoning to zone. I can locate 95% of the zones on the mud. I can lead probably 90% of them. So sure i can pop around and locate this this this and bam finally hit something. "Ok lets go do this" "But we just did that last night or 3 hours ago". It does get very ... grindy doing it like that. But there are plenty of times where I just form a group and either take a vote on what people wanna do or just start running in a direction until a zone i go by sounds fun to do. Go on a mid-high zone run. ft/storms/dko/luni/quali/mystic etc etc etc etc. Smash all those in a row just to do it for the ranks, maybe get lucky. And that's a ton of fun.

Tajs

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 07:34:27 AM »
Just lower the range, current range is ridiculous! It would be a shame to remove it entirely tho imo

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
What about globe and bashing spells and AMS and mirrors/folds/spheres/flesh shields/etc etc etc. A fully spelled out mage can last longer in fights than many melee hitters.

That's great, you just name several spells that help partially mitigate the fact you have a glass cannon in your group, though it doesn't mitigate the loss of utility astral locate being removed would cause to Red Robes. I say again, both locate spells are useful both in group and not in group and help folks be a lot more efficient in both their zoning and their hunting and should remain in the game with their present  forms.

lurker

• Fodder
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »
Locate Object is sort of one the cool unique things. I'd hate to see it gone completely. I do understand the reasoning though.

I'd rather see other work-arounds implemented over straight removal. For example, multiple items with the same name different stats (ok, the black-blood ring is loading, not sure if it's the good one, we just have to run the zone and see), or reducing the range some, or just flat-out making certain items non-locatable.

kmark101

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 03:33:48 PM »
I have two options to suggest:

Should work only on player possessions. This way it won't remove it's pk and spy utility.

Should work on no_rent items only in zones. This way it could still be used to locate zone items, books, etc.. to help exploring (btw corpses are no_rent? never tried..).

puff

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 03:56:42 PM »
i have never liked locate.  i would rather do zones based on what sounds like fun instead of being forced to do zones because something is loading.

Loading things makes zoning fun.