Author Topic: more gear transparency  (Read 3292 times)

giles

more gear transparency
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
Here is an idea to cater to casuals.  Not saying this needs to occur, but hear me out, maybe you will think it's a good idea.  I can't play like I used to, which was 4+ hours every night.  I can't even really play every night, and sometimes I won't play for a week or two.  Unfortunately, in arctic the methods such as rent and item decay cause this to mean I can't play at all, unless I am willing to rely on shop gear, because most times logging in after a few weeks my prior gear is decayed or gone away due to rent.

I completely understand the reason for rent to exist as it does, and for limited items in particular to decay occasionally, I am not suggesting that that change.

The change I am suggesting is to simply be more transparent about which items may decay and which ones don't.  Create a flag that is revealed upon identify  or lore, ITEM_STABLE, or ITEM_LIMITED. 

If an item is stable, it simply is a way to tell the player that it's not going to poof in rent.  It might still get destroyed in combat, but if you are a casual player and you make an honest attempt to collect this sort of gear, you can know you can expect it to still be on your character when you log in after a 2 or 3 week hiatus.

If an item is limited, usual rules apply, it may or may not decay in rent quickly or slowly, it doesn't really matter.

I dunno if this is really a viable suggesting, just brainstorming about why I don't play much and basically it's because when I log I don't have gear and even if I do go and get gear it'll be decayed again after I take my next break.  If there was an easy in-game way for me to recognize gear that won't decay while I am away it would make my casual play-style more viable and I'd probably end up playing more overall.

Stride

Re: more gear transparency
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »
On the same now, if a weapon has a special or something i think it should show up in lore as well.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
Re: more gear transparency
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »
Both of these suggestions come down to game-knowledge.  The normal answer around questions like these for the last 20 years has been "figure it out for yourself", and I am going to answer the same, for now.

We don't want to tell you this stuff, it is better if you figure it out on your own.

That said, part of the lube project is going to be a bigger emphasis on transparency of general details.  I am not saying we are going to expose if an item is RENT_DECAY or not, or if it has a spec on it or not, but we are going to be giving you more information overall.  So, maybe in lube you will get what you are asking for here.

Closing this thread.