Author Topic: Moving Forward  (Read 29477 times)

Malaki

• Immortal
Re: Moving Forward
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
-Up the group limit back to 12 or increase it to 15.  So when alot of people are on you don't have to be singled out for certain zones, everyone can roll through.
-Keep the updated rank xp system, maybe add more individual ranks, and no limit the the amount of ranks of a certain type you can buy.
-Like others have said go back to a older version with all the sets, and stuff from a few years back, and the items and weapons and character, and race stats were.
-Allow pk or Waring, but also add or make a dedicated zone or arena for it that you can que for or sign up.  Cant remember how long ago but signing up teams to go in and do battle in a small zone was so much fun.  And maybe even set up a barter or cost and its divided between the winners.
-Take a look at the decay timers a bit and see what its purpose is for.  I don't mind having items destroyed from damage and zoneing, and having to constantly repair them so they don't, but the decay timers have always been annoying on gear, and other items as well like spells n things.  Not saying do away with it entirely cause the rush and speed of studying things in time or having to go reload something is viable game play.
-Take feedback on the different guilds to tweak the learning demand of skilling for legendary.  I know Ive rage quit atleast 2 wipes cause assail would never hit supurb on my barb.  Mainly some people play 100 percent solo so legendary is off limits for some guilds/classes.
-Go back to long multi year long wipes, but implement chaos days or months of chaos where player base is restored to the previous months afterwards.
-Look at adjusting the vault costs or inventory limit for us Hoarders that want to collect and loot everything to sell to the vendor and lore.
-remove a limit of members for clan's so everyone with their 10 multis can be added without alot of cost so you can communicate with everyone easily on clan tell without having to track 100 multies and aliases
-Implement most or some of these and wipe, with a well planned and annouced wipe/rush date.  With some Chaos days before hand and Competitions.

Crazy:
Do an open vote for allowing/disallowing variations of:
-Botting
-Multing
These are not the same thing, though are sometimes related.

-Implement room numbers as output in some low to mid zones and towns for new and old players alike to easily map out and explore places they haven't been before.
-Explain and show some examples of what different content creation and work is and requires from scratch to turned on zone in the test instance, and open it up for all to help.
-Create a single signon (googleauth or some opensource thing), that is also linked to friends lists so you can see if your friend is online even if their on some other character.  An opt in thing of course but would be nice.  Some type of evolution beyond opt email.

Cant believe im actually thinking about playing again.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 07:05:01 PM »
Glad to hear you guys are forming up and making it happen, tough job for just 2 to tackle on their own id think!
Excited to see what you all bring to the table and hopefully you are able to lure back a few from retirement and league of legends :p
If you get new players asking about groups, send me your greenest and i'll gladly break them in!
Hope to see some other folks who have creation skills to step up and demonstrate! New content is always fun.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 09:49:49 PM »
1.  Healing cloud should be restored to its prior awesomeness. It was one of the few spells that allowed pk battles to go on for more than 1-2 rounds.
2.  Obviously you guys are already fixing the nerfs to weapons and other +dams which is elite, thank you
3.  Sets should be scaled back to 2-3 years ago when people could pop nice sets on low numbers
4.  Shield of huma: for the love of god make it autohaste again please!! classic item..
5.  Item % loads were recently nerfed last wipe in certain zones which caused me to quit. Running hct 50 times a week is not my idea of fun.
6.  Strength requirements for weapons will be switched back too I hope?
7.  Advertise arctic perhaps? raise money from arctic website and buy addspace on nerd.websites to get in new blood? I'd donate.
8.  Find new and interesting ways to keep players around, i always thought tournaments were super fun and got people involved
9.  Allow tim to pk wild unknowns without being deleted?
10 Give smaller clans the opportunity to compete with bigger clans in pvp. Put big spells in available places for the lil guy.
11 Get help! recruit new zone creators based upon creativity and ideas not based on who kisses the most ass
12 Only allow certain and trusted imms to have port access
13 Thanks to the new imm crew for taking the time to bring this elite game back from the brink!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:51:45 PM by Kir »

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 12:31:23 AM »
1 - restore healing cloud to what it was before for pk and also healing purposes.
2 - change group sizes back to 10.  Last wipe, we had many get left on the sidelines and subsequently fade away quickly due to being left on the bench.
3 - fix holy word load rate and restore thunderbolt book to uth lich.  Our 2nd and 3rd healers rarely legend because of the horrible drop rate of hw.  I know several red robes that still aren't legend this current wipe in smaller clans because of the removal of lich book.
4 - restore cyan book loads to previous wipes.  Doing cyan for a healing mist book is wrong on so many levels.
5 - give some love to the grindy legend skills.  Of the classes I have played, the following come to mind: camp, wildfire, arcane barrier, sharpen, mend, lore, assail, (im not familiar with shamans)etc.
6 - I'd love to see haven become a rent location again.
7 - finding locations of players needs to be addressed.  Last wipe teleport was no longer available to cast on a non-grouped person.  Restore t cl requirement to port to people.  Clairvoyance hasn't worked for wipes.  Restore to old days.  Track could use some love. 
8 - restore legendary items to what they were for decades.  Humas, orbs, nobashes, etc.
9 - bring back old sets such as armaboro, blue sanction, black dragon hide, shoal sets, swordsmans and all the other non-public knowledge sets.
10 - bring back tantalon area!!!!!  Wtf was it removed to begin???
11 - I agree with kir, make top tier spells available to all through low percentage means.  Shards quest was cool in the past.
12 - xp tables could be slightly adjusted for lvls 27 through 30 to make less grindy.  On a similar note, having some bonuses for retaining 1x would be cool to incentivize players to reach and retain that threshhold.
13 - restore load percentages to previous wipes for % load items.
14 - use the abyss function rather than the delete button as much as possible.
15 - address new staff's current views on botting and multiing.  Specifically on botting, the use of in-depth scripts.
16 - take a look at hps for all classes.  Scouts I think could use some love if their hps are still coming in less than thiefs.

Best of luck to the new staff and thanks in advance for your willingness to give up your time to make arctic continue on!!!

Pyder

• Favorite Zone: CT!
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 12:33:44 AM »
1.  Healing cloud should be restored to its prior awesomeness. It was one of the few spells that allowed pk battles to go on for more than 1-2 rounds.
2.  Obviously you guys are already fixing the nerfs to weapons and other +dams which is elite, thank you
3.  Sets should be scaled back to 2-3 years ago when people could pop nice sets on low numbers
4.  Shield of huma: for the love of god make it autohaste again please!! classic item..
     * For the love of god, yes... Couldn't belive what I heard earlier this year when I came back after a 9 year break! Crazy ppl.
5.  Item % loads were recently nerfed last wipe in certain zones which caused me to quit. Running hct 50 times a week is not my idea of fun.
6.  Strength requirements for weapons will be switched back too I hope?
     * One would hope so!
7.  Advertise arctic perhaps? raise money from arctic website and buy addspace on nerd.websites to get in new blood? I'd donate.
8.  Find new and interesting ways to keep players around, i always thought tournaments were super fun and got people involved
9.  Allow tim to pk wild unknowns without being deleted?
10 Give smaller clans the opportunity to compete with bigger clans in pvp. Put big spells in available places for the lil guy.
11 Get help! recruit new zone creators based upon creativity and ideas not based on who kisses the most ass
12 Only allow certain and trusted imms to have port access
13 Thanks to the new imm crew for taking the time to bring this elite game back from the brink!!
     * Indeed, much appriciated!

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 01:11:42 AM »
limited items and rent decay should get looked at.

i have limited items that loaded on the 2nd day of the wipe still on my warrior.  and i quit playing in early march.  this should not happen.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 03:06:49 AM »
My input / responses to various posts:

Sets - Bringing back more of the unique sets seems popular and is probably a good idea. I think some sets (aka armaboro) could use a push in the right direction as well. They provide a good avenue for people who don't have time to maintain low limit equipment to stay relevant.

Skills -  I agree some classes get the shaft on training, particularly shamans. It's something to think about but not pressing.

Xp to level - The experience required to level at higher levels (27-30) is a bit tedious and probably disadvantages casual players more than anything else. I'm not sure how this is managed, but cutting the required exp by 10% or so for those levels might not be a bad move.

Ranks & stats - At the moment you can buy 4 of any one attribute. If people think that's too few we could probably push it - push it real good. Not sure to what though, 6 maybe? Most of the other ranks will probably stay the same as they seem to be in a fairly good place right now.

Races - While cool in concept, exotic races in their present state provide too much of benefit. I think the stats of classic races are in a pretty good place though. Once weapon changes are rolled back having 17 strength warriors isn't too crippling and forces people to make choices about their ranks and eq, which is good. Exotic races stats probably need to be brought in line with other races and have "quality of life" benefits instead of numerical power, i.e. move_regen, hp_regen, immune_poison, or various other things.

Decay timers - Will be looked at in due course, but as it would have to be done on a case by case basis there's better "bang for buck" in terms of effort expenditure right now. The bangle of awesomeness lasting an extra week isn't a strong encouragement for people to return to Arctic.

Item load %'s As above.

Vault / rent / inventory costs - Being realistic, vault and inventory costs are fine. Rent cost in general is probably worth a look given our aging playerbase is increasingly time poor and have less time to keep their coins up. Re-adding the ability to rent in some smaller cities (Haven, Newport, etc) could be looked at if people care.

Group limits - I've written and rewritten this four times and now I've just deleted it. There's pro's and con's to increasing, keeping or lowering the group limit. It affects encounter difficulty, player inclusion (or exclusion), encouragement to fill your group with automatons, game/clan politics, social dynamics and a lot of other factors. It's a huge discussion in itself which I'm going to leave for now. I don't think it makes or breaks things either way though.

Classic items - I've actually had an overwhelming number of people from every corner of the Arctic community bring this up. There's clearly an appetite for returning various "classic" items back to their historic state, so I'd have to say it's on the agenda. I'll comment that good aligned tanks having access to an item that outstrips those available to the other alignments is unfair.

Weapon weights / strength - Covered in attributes, weapon weights will be reverted when those changes are rolled back.

Access to big spells for little guys - I agree this is an issue and will be considered. Expect something to happen in this space.

Spell loads in general - Will be looked at. Personally I'd like to see a "chaos ball" book added back in similar to Lord Noom in the 90's, where you'll almost always get some mid level spell, or the occasional high level spell... but every now and then someone wins the lottery. After all, gambling is fun... right? Food for thought.

Healing cloud - This spell was fairly overpowered, I'm not sure it should be put back to its insanely buff state. The fact it was mentioned this spell somewhat counter-balanced the huge damage players can output is a clear indication it was vastly overpowered. I'd prefer to consider other options, like players receiving a flat -15% damage dealt when damaging other players, rather than boosting cloud. I just made that idea up and I don't know if its possible, but you get my point.

Tournaments, immortals and creation - We've already received an influx people wanting to contribute and we're happy to give people a shot. I'll be breaking people off projects on creation to prove they can deliver and am making time to help them out, so hopefully we should get some new content coming in. We'd like to run events as well but they're time consuming to coordinate, so it will depend how many of the people who put their hand up to help actually go on to do useful things. I'm also trying to finish off the zone I've been working on for far too long, which hopefully should be ready relatively soon.

Locating players - This one is a funny one. Pk in general has dropped significantly, so i'm not sure how critical it really is to fix. I agree that right now it's incredibly difficult to track people down, but facilitating trash teleporting isn't the answer.

Class HP - I think these are all fine except scouts who might need a bump.

The Abyss, deletion and long walks along the beach - We're looking to rebuild bridges and bring more players into the fold. Expect decisions in this area to be in line with that mentality, which includes not alienating players for making mistakes. That said, this door swings both ways. If you consistently act in a manner that is deemed to be overly toxic or poisonous to the general population there will be consequences. A conversation would take place about the issue before it progressed to that stage.

There are some points I've skipped but I think this post is long enough already.

Thanks everyone for your input, hopefully more people share their views!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:22:53 AM by Jorquin »

Pyder

• Favorite Zone: CT!
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 06:40:45 AM »
I rented in Haven all my mud carreer :) .... Please bring that back! And also other small cities for that matter.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
I will say that changing the starting cities made some newbie areas (perhaps most significantly, Haven, but also Vingaard and Nevermind/Garret) useless wastes of space.  Who is going to spend 3-4 tics to get to Haven to run the forest? Yes, it is kinda close to Solace, but not close enough to warrant a road trip at level 1.

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
Restore inns for us shady people to rent away from the newbs.

Slunt

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
I check this forum maybe once a month to see whats going on, I am excited about the change and potential fixes.

For me and my availability and commitment level I think 2 changes could help me find some time to play:

1. Multiplaying,
2.Lower xp tables

I know multiplaying has many challenges but I would think some compromises and regulating could be atleast be explored.

Best of luck to the new Overlords

-Dan

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 06:44:09 PM »
Some concerns, ideas, questions (kinda all over the place):

Multiing/Botting
While i understand these are two different things, they are not necessarily mutually exclusive either.  From a competitive perspective, in a game with limited resources, any person(s) multiing/botting or associates of those multiing/botting receive an unfair advantage over others who do not multi/bot.

I think having a clear stance from the staff on whether botting/multiing will be allowed and to what degree is important.

If it is not allowed, how does the staff plan to address the issue?  Multiing/botting has continued to be prevalent in Arctic and people who circumvent the system using proxies (or multiple devices with different ips like home internet connection + cell phone) should not be rewarded. Not everyone who plays this game has the technological savvy or the monetary freedom to purchase and maintain multiple proxies to try to veil their rule breaking.  Furthermore, inconsistencies in punishment can lead to mistrust and accusations of favoritism which is not conducive of a healthy player/staff relationship.

Item Decay
I have found after renting for several months that certain items I have do not appear to decay in rent.  One limited item in particular (while not necessarily game changing) had no rent decay timer.  This to me is another serious issue.  There is absolutely no reason I can think of that limited items should be immune to rent decay.  This removes already limited resources from the game as long as a person can maintain their rent.  While unlimited items do not particularly matter if they rent decay or not.  An item that is limited with no rent decay could potentially disappear for an entire wipe.  This should be either changed or at least explained why it remains.

Legendary Ranks/Skills
These may need to be looked at more closely but does not need immediate attention.  Some of the changes to scale them back this wipe may have made certain legendary ranks practically useless (one example i can think of is legendary strike).  I think maybe all legendary ranks should be reviewed and tweaked or changed, so that each rank is useful and worth the cost.

Inns
Please bring back old locations.  Having less places to save and leave the game does not in my opinion add any value to the game.

Pk locating skills/spells
While pk may be less prevalent in Arctic today, it is still a draw for some.  Some of the harsh penalties levied against players who enjoy pk (siteban, deletion, other forms of harassment) could be one reason that pk is not as frequently seen today.  Having a method of locating players effectively is essential to non-random pk.  Furthermore, having an effective method of tracking down the murderer who slayed you is even more essential in a mud which allows pk.  Improving location spells like how clairvoyance used to work, or improving the ability to track may be useful.  Another idea may be restricting the ability to recall and limit the amount of movement a player can do after engaging in pk or perhaps successfully killing someone (considering the mud is so vast and there are so many restrictions on location skills/spells it can be nearly impossible to retaliate).

Disabling skills/spells in PVP
Another thing that may be addressed in the future.  While damage may be out of wack in pvp situations, if damage is reduced, players should still retain the ability to effectively kill players from a balance perspective.  This may require some tweaks to disabling, additions to disabling skills/spells.  Being able to easily escape death in large scale pk creates boring logs.  No equipment changes hands.  Previous idea of limiting ability to recall or player movement after becoming an aggressor may also be a solution to this.

Super Mages Please
Bring back Power Word Stun potentially replacing Blastwave and increase Prismatic Spray damage effectiveness and Increase Nightmare effectiveness. Maybe balance by limiting the amount of times the spell can be cast per tic, targets it can hit, increasing lag duration for these spells (2 rounds instead of 1?), some other form of cooldown, or combination of these.  P.S.  I love the idea of the chaos ball book, perhaps better on a deathload or non-locateable mob(i can see some very nasty player interactions taking place although this may be what some want).

Fix pet ranks and Quest system
Self explanatory, maybe add a pet for Druids.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:55:48 PM by eddiex »

kilians

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
I am personally ecstatic about this new takeover and changes, and cannot wait to see things moving in the directions being discussed could not ask for a better time to come back to the game after my break :D

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 02:25:50 AM »
Some of these ideas people are having are great, kinda stoked to see how you tackle some of them.
Here are a few things ive noticed personally and or have thought of.
-stuns are way too powerful,  ct king is what i would expect frosty to stun like

-healing cloud is very unreliable with this silly % chance of landing idea. even 100% landing rate at 60% of current healing strength would be at least something you can count on. prelegend healing cloud is basically cure serious that lands one in 3 rounds now seemingly...which is a waste of an 8th slot.

-xak needs to be revamped!(bring back mishikals white potion too!)

-quests seem to be broken for paladin rose order , and all legend mobs for all classes

-take on a few people that are capable of writing zones maybe to lend hand! ie. GYP!

-i think perhaps adding precise directions to zones that level 25 characters can try to solo would be a really good
idea personally ie. solamnic encampment, que kul, araton, boku, bandits, solamnic outpost to  encourage newer players to get out and learn a little how to do things outside of major towns.

-definitely use the abyss BEFORE the delete button, that was really abused, i cant think of any good reason to immediately delete someones character unless they literally email aristox a dick pic or something.

-raise the limit on some items maybe, it sucks when there is only 3 of an item and someone has 1 or 2 on a backup char or deep rented as eddie stated without a decay timer on them seemingly.

- make things decay at 10x the speed in rent perhaps and deeprenting wont be as rough

-train a noob, every single one of you older players and imms and retired folk and anyone who ever enjoyed arctic mud, train a noob. just do it.

-if you fix it... they will play. thanks for committing to working with us on things like weapon stats. and if there's anyway for your average joe on mud like myself to help at all let us know!

-how many of the people asking to bot, would rack up limited items on their 5 chars? that is the question i ask you all... leaving what for the rest of the real players? (maybe people can register a char as an actual bot, and all bots would be restricted to shop gear only?) better than nothing!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:30:23 AM by Gramm »

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
gramm is right.  maybe its time to remove locate from the game and make almost all items no_limit, low % loads. 

then maybe rent decay wouldnt even have to be a thing.  limited items loaded on the first day of the wipe and still being rented 7+ months later is seriously broken.