Author Topic: Moving Forward  (Read 29319 times)

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Re: Moving Forward
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2016, 06:44:16 AM »
That aside, responding to other ideas listed:

Weapon weight as balance : I agree this is a decent way to balance some specific overpowered weapons and will be looked at. The recent weapon changes used weight as a balancing factor, and while those changes were unpopular once stats have been reverted I think looking at how weight compares against zone difficulty and power is in the picture.

Keep current class sets and add/re-add more unique sets : Da.

Decay timers : Read my previous posts, I'm not going to repeat myself. That's right, I'm not going to repeat myself. Repeat myself. Repeat.

Spell load rates : As above.

Legendaries : Agree for the most part. The only one that sticks out is paladins who probably need a look. Freedom should have its cooldown tripled, as a get-out-jail-free card it's quite overpowered. A compensatory exchange might be a minor rebuff to strike to increase their consistent usefulness in combat.

Skill damage : Agree. Not sure how this plays out in terms of difficulty to change (on our side). We'll see. I'd like to affect some things, but may not be able to. You stay classy San Diego, we'll let you know.

Clerics : Smite is a decent idea. Fairly comparable with paladin strike, but would require coding. We'll see. Not a bad idea and one that I'd support because you're right, playing clerics is generally boring and shitty... but getting someone to code this and have it balanced with rapture is another story.

Equipment : I'm sorry, are you trolling right now? Limits on equipment in general are phenomenal. The amount of powerful equipment in the game has  NEVER been higher. You couldn't max out the low limit (below 3) equipment in the game if you tried. While I don't mean to be totalitarian, there's practically zero chance item limits across the board will be raised because there's just no point - you're already spoiled for choice.

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »

Equipment : I'm sorry, are you trolling right now? Limits on equipment in general are phenomenal. The amount of powerful equipment in the game has  NEVER been higher. You couldn't max out the low limit (below 3) equipment in the game if you tried. While I don't mean to be totalitarian, there's practically zero chance item limits across the board will be raised because there's just no point - you're already spoiled for choice.

you must be talking about super high level zones.  because in the mid-high range everything is gone all wipe.  even when only like 15 people were playing at the end of the 2015 wipe it was just empty zone after empty zone.  day after day with 0 loads.  its depressing.  not everyone who plays this game can clear the high content.

besides more equipment is better in every single way.  if there is plenty loading people are less fearful about exploring or pvp fighting.  right now im usually afraid to try a new zone because when the inevitable mass rip with no cr comes, anything i miss the repop on is gone forever.  being 8 month deeprented on someone else's char.  and im back to searching barren zones that have nearly 0 chance to load anything.  i have to hope for the miracle rent decay load.  but as we are saying, stuff isnt rent decaying.  you really dont see any problem?

so what would be the downside of more equipment in the game?  i really cant see it.

lurker

• Fodder
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2016, 08:40:07 AM »
Maybe the problem isn't that the limits in the "mid-high" zones are too low, but rather that the gear in those zones is too good so it gets hoarded.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2016, 09:54:15 AM »
I know this forum already has a Q&A section, but many of the questions are responded to by other players.

I think a Q&A section restricted to immortal reply, in addition to the crowd sourced Q&A we already have could potentially be very useful for the transparency and player/staff relationship.

I think many people have specific questions regarding game mechanics (particularly ones that either don't seem to work correctly or that don't make reasonable sense to them).  Having a reasonable expectation of a timely response regarding player concerns from a staff member will build a lot of bridges.  As a player feeling as though my questions and concerns are  specifically addressed goes a long way. Furthermore it could allow the questioner to refine their response if their question is confused.

In some of instances other players will jump on board a thread to add their two cents, offer unofficial answers, or muddle and confuse the original question, so when it is answered by staff the original question may not even be addressed.

Considering the current overhaul the staff is doing, expected wait times would obviously be longer. Also questions that may infringe on the protection of underlying mechanics still receiving a reply and explanation makes players feel addressed.

Players would also have to show restraint and respect as not to troll or waste staff time with drawn out questions.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:01:42 AM by eddiex »

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:45 AM »
You mean, like the post you just made? A huge off topic statement as to what happens when things go off topic? Makes total sense

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2016, 10:18:36 AM »
Maybe the problem isn't that the limits in the "mid-high" zones are too low, but rather that the gear in those zones is too good so it gets hoarded.

maybe in some cases that is true.  but in a lot of other cases i think there is just no reason not to save it.

say a  +str bracer loads.  not too great but why not hang onto it even if you cant use it?  stick it on a storage character.  with the current system it will be practically free to rent, quite possibly never decay, and who knows you might have a use for it someday.  if nothing else you are denying its use to your enemies.  and now it will never load again for the rest of the wipe.

i didnt play that much this wipe.  looks like my main has 3.5 days playtime.  but when i quit i had enough coins to rent for over 200 days.  and now it sounds like rent is going to get cheaper?  what is the reason not to stash that limited bracer forever?  and every other limited item? 

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »
Unsure if I will be able to return to the game.. but super excited for the changes.

Thanks for working to make Arctic great again!

• Agree to the 2 character rule with some sort of more robust login
  • Agree that increasing equipment limits will improve the game... look at other successful games in the mmorpg arena.. items are hard to get, but everyone can get one.

I hope I get to play with you all again after the changes. In some ways we are all connected for life.. a dysfunctional family of sorts.

SArT

Nostramazos

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »
PK is the major issue in Arctic.

It is the one issue that creates a toxic environment, random rage, delusions of grandeur, power tripping and quite a few of premature ejaculations. Oh yes, and the reason why people quit. This is because many players lose no chance to act like jerks when they pkill or getting pked. You wanna talk verbal abuse, threats of amputation and death? Swearing at wives, mothers, daughters and sons? Don't get me started. Everyone in this mud has either done it, or has a friend who has done it and kept silent.

Fact is that the more you create a fun and engaging environment the more people will start playing and return to this game. So, let's deal with PK first before anything else.

There are solutions to be coded at last. These solutions have as their foundation the reasons of why people play.

On the one hand, you have people who want to dominate the game. They should be allowed to pkill and get pkilled, moan at immortals, bitch at other players, pretend how they don't care about the eq they lost but at least they did not lose their honor etc etc, all in order to feed their illusion that the game can be dominated.

On the other hand, you have people who just want to zone and explore. They should be allowed to do that without having to deal with the people who want to dominate the mud. They should not be allowed to hold any major limit 1 or limit 2 eq or anything that should be out there in the pk market.

Maybe a permanent option for a non-pk flag in character creation? I'd go for that.

Just some thoughts. Fix PK by giving players the option not to be part in it. Or face the red button.

Nostramazos

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
Can the people asking for more gear loads give examples of what kinds of items you are referring to?  Specifically, item stats, worn location, and weapon dice?  Are we talking about plus 1 Stat items, 16 to 19 dam primes, auto flies, etc? Or are we talking about plus dam non hand/wrist/body items, hard bashes, plus big slots, etc?

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2016, 12:21:35 PM »
Can the people asking for more gear loads give examples of what kinds of items you are referring to?  Specifically, item stats, worn location, and weapon dice?  Are we talking about plus 1 Stat items, 16 to 19 dam primes, auto flies, etc? Or are we talking about plus dam non hand/wrist/body items, hard bashes, plus big slots, etc?

plenty of the former loads on the core clan floor especially when the smith is broken so i hope that people arent starved for that sort of thing. 

problems with the latter can probably be addressed by having top tier items decay faster in rent

Oligo

• Immortal
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dunmir
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
5.     We want to find more contributors. If you believe you can contribute to Arctic then contact a member of staff, just make sure have the best intentions of the game at heart before putting your foot forward.

In the spirit of contribution, I'd like to volunteer to contribute or moderate a Botting sub forum. As it probably warrants a subforum beyond the existing MUD Client Discussion forum and there seems to be a bit of interest in the subject.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
I think 20year veterans should get full game knowledge.  like mystic vault and crap.

Honestly I've been exploring this game for 20years and there is still things that is unsolvable.. whether it was time constraints or lack of players.

I am done exploring that crap.  new games new times.  how about making it a lot easier to do the high level impossible to figure out super long  zones unless you are 15 years old with absoloutely nothing to do.

^^this would bring back some players and some competition.

I am not talking about the new zones from the last 5 years ago or so.

Anyway this was more of wishful thinking rant and not based on reality

I am hinting a little toward Mithas,  which i have gotten a little ways in there,  no main fights but.

Anyway I just think a lot of these keywords and crap is insanely stupid and takes way to much time to learn.

rant over

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »
Not sure if your were addressing me. From what I understand this area is for ideas moving forward. I have one regarding a Q&A as a direct line of communication to imms without douchey side comments and opinions like yours. I don't care what you think about my idea. My suggestion is not directed in anyway towards you, it is something that might be helpful and to be considered by the staff. Guess some people can't help but be trolls.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:16:47 PM by eddiex »

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2016, 05:06:38 PM »
Brandon thinks 20 year vets should get full game knowledge. So... i'm like 4 years shy i guess:(

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »

im just talking about newbie stuff.  i dont expect to find hard bashes, although that would be fun.  like maybe strength rings or +dmg body or something.  that kind of stuff never loads.

a good example is the face rippers.  not a super amazing item but me and my noob friends were excited to have them.  i havent seen them in about 6 years.  and now i know why.  loaded them the 2nd day of the wipe and they are still rented on my warrior.  havent decayed once.  they really should.