Author Topic: Moving Forward  (Read 30769 times)

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Moving Forward
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »
I just wanted to throw up a quick post to outline the main initiatives on the cards for the immediate future. We're committed to reinvigorating the game we all love and thought a good starting point would be to lay out some of the plans publicly.

1.  The level of staff intervention in mortal affairs has been quite high in recent years. We intend to move away from this model and let players sort out their differences where ever possible. This is not a "free pass to be a douche-bag", but we're committed to rebuilding bridges rather than burning them. As a gesture of good faith the entire ban list on Arctic and these forums has been cleared.

2.    Recent changes to weapons stats will be reverted back to their previous state. While these changes were made with the best intentions in mind (better balance), they have proven to be widely unpopular. Expect this to happen in the near future.

3.    There will be changes to items, particularly around reverting the "standardization" of +damage items. Losing the ability to tailor your equipment to your specific niche play style has been lamented by players as many different items were standardized to be nearly identical. Expect this to change.

4.     We want to create more transparency and to a degree, consultation with players. We want to make decisions that will create the greatest level of enjoyment for the greatest number of people. For us to achieve this your opinion is important, I'll be using the discussion board quite a bit to chat with people about things. Don't mistake this to mean your personal opinion(s) will dictate what decisions are made. In the end we will do what we believe will deliver the best result for everyone, not you and your friends. We also intend to provide more news updates to keep you up to date with changes made, probably in mildly more detail than previously.

5.     We want to find more contributors. If you believe you can contribute to Arctic then contact a member of staff, just make sure have the best intentions of the game at heart before putting your foot forward.

That's all I've got for now. We're looking to do a lot of this quite quickly and probably follow up with a pwipe. Given this has all happened quite fast there is no set date, but expect an announcement providing more clarity in the next month or so.

Feel free to post your opinions - happy to hear them.

Remo

• Favorite Zone: Port Balifor
Re: Moving Forward
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »
Thank You all.
Rod

breiner

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:48 AM »
1. Reducing the level of immortal invervention is definitely a nice move. It has seemed for a very long time that as soon as you engaged in pk there would be penalties to one or both sides.

2. Weaponbalance. Bringing back diversity would be nice. But from the hundreds of weapons I have lored so far it doesn't have to be a widescale change. Some weapons are fine as 2d6++ or 2d7++. The changes did not bring in balanced characters though, and most certainly not balance in pk.
If one were to contemplate an 8 vs 8 battle it would still be over in seconds and individual actions apart from initial triggers matters little. If anyone has a heureka moment this is one thing I'd like to see fixed without ruining pve.

5. Which kind of contribution? Coding? Creation?

Patpat

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 11:03:29 AM »
woot @ jorquin

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
@breiner:
I agree damage in player vs player situations is a bit out of whack and is something to think about. As for contributions we're always looking for creators and I'm happy to spend time helping people learn. In a broader sense even people who generate ideas, have time to run events (whatever they may be) or whatever else helps make Arctic more awesome.

Rafo

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 12:05:19 PM »
I'll come back and drag Kam with me, kicking and screaming.

Master Mike

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »
Finally. Bring old sets back too. Us low knowledge players loved them..

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »
Looks like I will be installing Arctic once again! My wife is going to be so mad.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
I would just like to point out, within 12 hours of the announcement of new management, the numbers have doubled online. I believe these changes really bring hope to a game that desperately needs it. Someone who has the mindset that it is still 1995 was just not working. I'm sure Hoss has some great intentions, but let's face it. He's not a very good people person.....at all. Social skills are required to maintain good relations between staff and players. With that said, I welcome our two new, active Overseer's and hopefully usher in a new age of change. 

Some things that I think could be addressed(sorry for not waiting for the discussion board):

Bringing the old sets back: easily loaded sets that didn't have a gigantic impact on the game and gave something solo players could easily load.

Change the existing sets to have their original stats: many of the sets were perfectly fine and rewarding once you finally achieved 6/6. However once you lost even one single piece, it could take a week to get it back and you're stats would suffer severely without that piece.

Skills: Some skills just take a ridiculously long time to train and it deters players from making X class. A shaman having to hunt down every spell required AND train 12 or so skills to superb vs a cleric who trains bandage, turn, and meditate/scribe and load a few spellbooks.  Skills that have a very long cooldown and seem to train at a reduced rate are just crazy and time consuming more than anything. It's become very tedious.

Decay timers: Some items take 30 seconds to load and can have a fairly big impact on characters. A wrist buckler comes to mind, sure it's not that great on it's on, but when it takes 30 seconds from login to check it, it should decay way faster than something with a similar stat that takes an entire high lvl zone of 6+ people to acquired.

Ranks: I would like to perhaps see more ranks of an individual rank. Ie: if I want more than 4 int ranks or dex ranks I should be able to purchase them. It's a toss up between gearing towards a stat and changing some gear with ranks. If I want to spend my hard earned rank points on something I should be able to.

Leveling: The experience from 27-30 is a really huge increase and could possibly be adjusted.

Stats: Let's face it, there are literally three races in the game right now. If you aren't a wipe rushed character or a gully dwarf, minotaur or dargonesti, you aren't shit. Although it's fun to mix things up and add a little spiciness to being legend, being it almost a requirement to be one of these three races sucks. With the str changes on weapons hopefully being reverted it won't be that big of a deal, but it still has a huge impact on the game so far.

Weapons are being adjusted and this is a huge step in the right direction.

Jang Yoo Sung

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Storms Keep
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 08:16:01 PM »
this + a pwipe will definitely bring back alot of players imo

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 01:12:09 AM »
sounds great. 

thanks to the old staff and good luck to the new

Pyder

• Favorite Zone: CT!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 03:19:27 AM »
I'm in! :)

Kronos

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 09:39:46 AM »
Well, some of us said we would not be back until these exact things happened. I think more than a few of us will answer the bell and RISE to the occasion.

-JTFson

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 10:32:19 AM »
Its true even i am unbanned. I welcome all to use my website fourskulls.org for any arctic related pk logs or posting how to guides aiming for non arcric related things.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 05:06:24 PM »
Wait, if you are back NOW......who the hell has been controlling all those LoS guys?!? Have your bots become self aware and zone on their own?! Skynet......terminator......its happening!