Author Topic: Summer = CHAOS wipe time  (Read 5155 times)

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
Summer = CHAOS wipe time
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »
So every summer we hear the same things on Arctic: the playerbase is shrinking, no one wants to play because of [insert complaint here], I can't find a group.

I have a suggestion:

I think that on Memorial day weekend we should wipe the game - EVERY YEAR - then, from Memorial Day to Labor day the immortal staff should just ignore players completely.  Allow multi-playing, botting, killing people into oblivion, gear storing, whatever.  The only rule is that you can't crash the game.  On Labor Day we should wipe again, but with regular rules and interventions.  Staffers can experiment with massive changes during the summer because its a chaos wipe and it doesn't really matter anyway.  Besides, if your legend barbarian gets murdered back to level 1 you can always go outside, grill some meat and drink a beer and remember there is MUCH MORE to life than slaying text dragons.  Besides, it all starts over when it gets colder...

gnua

• Zone Leader
Re: Summer = CHAOS wipe time
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »
I think that on Memorial day weekend we should wipe the game - EVERY YEAR

how long until a smartass immortal says they can arrange a personal pwipe for you?

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »
I can arrange a personal pwipe for MYSELF :)
It's basically pwipe everyday at the moment anyway - sub 20 players even at peak hours, wilds all deeprented so nice gear loading in almost every zone.  Hell, sharp short swords are only like 4 damage less than the limit 1 weapons in the game!

That's exactly why having a chaos wipe during the summer lull makes sense - creates some excitement, allows for a less serious playerbase that knows the immortals are going to be lazzez-faire with pvp issues.  Let people masslog with 7 bots if they want. Pump up the number on the game to like 100.  No one is on anyway, so who really cares?

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 03:29:20 AM »
Let people masslog with 7 bots if they want. Pump up the number on the game to like 100.  No one is on anyway, so who really cares?

my bots refuse to log on.

Valenore

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 07:46:53 PM »
You would like to make changes to the game/management of the game based on fun for the players?  I see what you did there.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
Only for the summer!  It can go back to being "not fun" in the fall!

BTW - I actually love this time of the wipe, since I am solo power-ranker this is where I can muscle my way to rank 40+ solo.  However, I think it would be best for the game (and actually worse for me) to allow Arctic to be the no-holds-barred pk-4-life chaosfest it is (wrongly) remembered to be in the '90s.

Malaki

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 03:39:28 AM »
The good old days, when most of us started playing.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
the no-holds-barred pk-4-life chaosfest it is (wrongly) remembered to be in the '90s.

Wrongly?!?!

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »
We can call it  "The Purge - Godlessness"

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
I figure if everyone knows that the sandbox is only there for three months they are less likely to worry about the mass nerfing, and might even learn to embrace some of the changes.  I also think the staff will enjoy running the game more if they can watch the squeals of horror from the world below without having to worry about intervening at all.  I don't think the powers-that-be are worried about driving away the "serious player" - based on what's been happening this wipe - so I don't really see a downside.  Of course, I have no idea how much time it takes to wipe the player file...