Author Topic: Arctic Veterans what do you think?  (Read 14062 times)

pasta_whee

• Favorite Zone: Tarsis
Arctic Veterans what do you think?
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:34:52 AM »
How is a new player supposed to learn this game and explore all that Arctic has to offer when you can't even find 2-3 people to group with on a daily basis?

How am I supposed to learn end game content to compete with the top clans on Arctic if every time I want to do these zones I get jumped and killed while doing them or you can never get people willing enough to help learn these zones or at least stand there and be fodder while I learn?

How many high end zones are even possible with the current player base? When is the last time someone other than Wilds or the few other top clans(you guys know which clans) didn't load all the lim 1 items in the game and horde them for the entire wipe?

What incentive do I have to learn the end game content when all the end game content is taken 2-3 weeks in to the wipe and then deep rented for the remainder of the wipe to never been seen again. Well you might see the items again if they announce wipe is coming.

I understand a lot of people worked very hard and for years on the knowledge they have of the game but the bottom line is this isn't the Arctic of the 90's where 100+ people are logging on and you can run constant 10 mans and learn all the high end content and super duper solo secrets. This game barely logs on 20+ a day.

So I guess my real questions is...What is being done to fix all this? or as a newer player to this game should I just give up and move on to another mud? I do enjoy arctic but between most the players being to chicken shit to die and learn new things so they can compete with the better players or the players who all ready know this stuff being totally unwilling to help someone out with game knowledge i'm just at a loss

This game is just slowly losings its appeal to me. I wouldn't mind spending hours learning all the cool places in arctic and bad ass dungeons and zones but when 90% of the areas has no loots other than maybe a 2d4 +1 offie that takes 26 str to prim, I don't wanna take the time to learn that place.

You just can't expect to have a healthy player base when every single wipe the same 5 people end up with 95% of all the gear worth a damn in the game and then for the rest of the wipe zones feel stale because nothing ever loads. The decay system is just stupid. It never allows for someone else a fair chance to pop said item. It all ways favors the person who had it first. Unless they deadbeated and didn't log on for weeks.

I mean seriously how many of you know a player who was the only one to either have x item for the entire wipe or been the only player to have x item for several wipes in a row?

Anyways this is just my 2 cents on arctic. I've only been playing this game for maybe two years now.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
Re: Arctic Veterans what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:47:46 AM »
How is a new player supposed to learn this game and explore all that Arctic has to offer when you can't even find 2-3 people to group with on a daily basis?

newbie things to do solo:
 - get a level 25 cleric with cloak of bravery, heroism, heal
 - get a level 25 shaman with regenerate, ghostmaster
 - get a level 25 red robe with locate object, force bolt, identify
 - get two level 25 tanks with all skills to v.good
 - pop 3 held autoflies
 - pop 3 detect invises

newbie things to do in 2 man
 - help someone else do one of the above (even experienced mudders appreciate when someone else helps/leads with that beginner stuff)
 - xp to level 28 on two different characters
 - pop 3 small tattered prayerbook
 - pop 3 frosted book with glass covers
 - pop ritual voyage, ghostskin
 - pop 2 npp items
 - pop 2 heal potions
 - pop a fireshield scroll/potion
 - pop a steelskin potion

If you can already do all of that, it's probably time to start clanning
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:43:39 PM by gnua »

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:55:07 PM »
the limited item/deep rent system has always been a terrible problem for people who arent interested in joining the big clans.  everything about this game has always been aimed at the elite.  less experienced players get ignored. 

we can get pkilled at any time with no chance of escape and 0 hope of revenge. we have to grind our way through mid-high zones at best, which were stripped of any useful items in the first week of the wipe and are now deep rented on someone's 4th alt.  if you try a new zone you will find you are required to know impossible keywords that no one actually figured out for themselves and are hoarded as precious secrets that you will never get. 

honest advice - unless you want to join a clan and be an assist bot, then try a different game.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »
we have to grind our way through mid-high zones at best, which were stripped of any useful items in the first week of the wipe and are now deep rented on someone's 4th alt.

with the reduced playerbase, there's tons of eq loading, and there is almost no competition to do zones that load cleric/shaman/mage spells. two dedicated people can do tons even without the support of a clan and might even be able to do better than lower clannies that just get dragged around.  soloing can be quite dull though. there's lots to do but finding the motivation can be quite a challenge.

Valenore

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »
As bad as the new changes are, if you are raging against wilds, longing for limit 1 items, worried about competing with the top clans, and citing player base numbers from the 90s then you don't count as a new player

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »
Who in the world is jumping someone for running a zone at this point in the wipe?  Are you having a flashback from 1990s?

Also, since 2 of the 3 biggest clans in the game are not playing, most of their gear is slowly showing back up in the game.

With ranks easy to get again (thanks to lowered player base) pretty much anyone can legend a melee class 2 man except for the legend mob at the end, and enough whining, begging, complaining can probably get you the group to do that.

Also, the high end content is getting run, there are groups running Silvanesti and other high end content on almost daily.  Just look for more than 5 of the same clan tag and they are probably doing something awesome.  Ask if you can tag along!  Worst they'll say is no, then its time to go back to exploring the mid-highs. 

There's some ridiculously easy-load stuff in the game that is nicer than the weapons from the high-end content, anyway.

There are 200 zones in the game, and only 20 of them can't be run easily by 2-5 legendary characters, even with the home-run-derby style nerf-batting that's been going on. When you know the 180 easier zones you can focus on the last 20.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 05:16:20 PM »
When there are 8-15 people on at a time, let's be honest, finding someone to group and/or level with is going to very difficult.  Your best bet is to play a dark knight.  They are the best solo class in the game lvl 1-30.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:44:48 PM »
If you believe all the end game content is maxxed right now....

pasta_whee

• Favorite Zone: Tarsis
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »
Thanks for all the feed back guys. Enjoyed the responses keep them coming.

On a side note! Dark knights are broke. I talked with keila last night and he agreed. It is retarded a cleric at level 1 has more starting hps than a DK who is supposed to be damage/off tank. All though scouts I will say are even worse off. I guess i'll stick with my thief for now.

snax

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 10:41:24 AM »
Thanks for all the feed back guys. Enjoyed the responses keep them coming.

On a side note! Dark knights are broke. I talked with keila last night and he agreed. It is retarded a cleric at level 1 has more starting hps than a DK who is supposed to be damage/off tank. All though scouts I will say are even worse off. I guess i'll stick with my thief for now.

Dark knights are not broke.  They have been significantly weakened yes.  Their stance perks in defense and offense are much lower as is their damage along with all other classes except casters (and shamans the godmode tanks of the wipe).  However, a 550 hp dark knight can still do things that a 4+ man prelegend group will often mass rip on just by removing all the communication slips and using their class specific variant flavor.  They're kinda like a more forgiving thief-class for dummies, without the need for some of the preps that thieves often use.  They're still welcome in any group I lead, and do provide decent offensive value while having enough hp to not die to area if the healer is preoccupied with the main and casters hp.

I'm glad you're sticking with your thief.  That's a reaally complex class in some regards with incredibly "wow" kinda moments with some of the things they can do.  Hopefully someone hands you a packets of endless information and logs.  Then hopefully people flock to you in droves.  Best of luck on the game. 

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 12:36:58 PM »
Who in the world is jumping someone for running a zone at this point in the wipe?  Are you having a flashback from 1990s?

Is Arctic PTSD a thing?

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 05:05:02 PM »
When there are 8-15 people on at a time, let's be honest, finding someone to group and/or level with is going to very difficult.  Your best bet is to play a dark knight.  They are the best solo class in the game lvl 1-30.

Debatable. Thieves and shamans are really good too, just depends on the style you want to play. They all operate differently and can do some areas the others can't. DK probably has the highest margin for error, which would push them towards the "best bet" given the context of this discussion I guess.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »

Debatable. Thieves and shamans are really good too

Before legend, DK is by far best solo. After legend, I think thieves are.  the best duos often involve shaman.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:48:17 AM by gnua »

lurker

• Fodder
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »
I think the game is going the wrong direction. Catering to the hardest of the hardcore making the hard stuff harder and nerfing the player-base makes sense only when you have a large growing hardcore player-base. That isn't really the case on arctic.

Back "in the day", 15 or so years ago IIRC, nothing was really all that hard, but PK was a regular risk. IMO those days are what made arctic popular. The hardest zones were not really hard on their own, it was just the possibility of being attacked or ambushed that made everything exciting and fun.

Now, with all the trash pkill rules and harsh penalties for doing things that aren't even explicitly spelled out as against the rules... most of the PK doesn't exist anymore. The only way to make a zone challenging is by buffing hp and damage and such to absurd numbers, because that random pk element is being quashed.

Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a group based multiplayer RPG without PvP, but 1- there are millions of them, and 2- it's not what made arctic popular, so it alienates the current player-base.

Hoyt

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 08:04:17 PM »
At this point in the game just check world merchant...  no one wants to rent more than 1 prime or offhand weapon because of the steep rent..  i have seen so much plus stat gear and i guess what could be considered nice weapons now (Arctic Hard Mode) in the world merchant lately i was able to gear up my warrior pretty easy was even able to find a plus 5 bash shield there...

I wouldn't even call myself an elite player (far from it) but I can solo any class/alignment to 25 with normal shop gear in under a day play time... and i don't pay the game for gear.  (don't get me wrong i am not above taking scraps)

If you want to improve your game join a clan and be someone that is dependable to group with, and while you are grouped make logs study them and keywords for mid level zones are not as hard as you might think more advance zones kw are and do take knowledge of more than just a single zone to figure out. I will admit that it might be a bit hard right now because everyone is a "SPY!"