Author Topic: Where are we going?  (Read 5883 times)

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
Where are we going?
« on: February 08, 2016, 05:36:34 AM »
This is a bit unclear to me.. I understand, that imms (Hoss only or are everyone onboard for this?) want to limit players power compared to mobs. I'm all for that.
What I don't understand is how it's being done - for instance, standardizing all available weapons to weight 16, value 100, 2d6 2/2 (seems the standard) - how will this help? long time ago players had 3d7 3/3 weapons and things weren't broken because of that.
What's new now? not the weapons! It must also suck for all the creators of zones to see their items, that they put thought and effort into being treated like this. I'm betting I'm not the only one who liked the variety in weapons, stats, materials, values and so on.

Also first stats gets nerfed, then group size, then group size is back, then +dams, now all weapons (well sorta, since some have changed quality, rent and still got a buff?) and spells/spirits/corpses etc are next? It would be nice if you, Hoss or others, outlined how you envision the end product of all these changes? What's an avg prim, elite prim, hardness of the end fights (some of which will have to be nerfed in order to be doable prolly).

Personally would have looked at the obviously OP classes ...and legend effects in general. From my perspective it seems like symptom treatment to nerf like this.

tlrd; dafuq is happening?!

Pyder

• Favorite Zone: CT!
Re: Where are we going?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:22 AM »
I can only agree! :/

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:35:52 AM »
I totally agree with this. I've said it before. I think we were on the right track by nerfing stats a bit. We had a guy in the clan who still wanted to use MoM mace, and he has like 19 nat strength. So he had to use his ranks had to use a ton of strength eq and was able to wield it. That was kinda cool. It left very very little room for other stat pieces, dams etc. But was still doable. THAT was the right track for the nerfs. Making every weapon and most items so undesirable now... makes it not so much fun.

I understand the bar is now new and needs to be reset. I understand that there is going to be a new standard for elite. If that is how the mud is going to be then far be it for us to complain about a game that gets built on some donations, but mostly for free. I just think you are taking the nerfs in the wrong direction. In the complete wrong direction.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 08:50:45 AM »

Also first stats gets nerfed, then group size, then group size is back...

People whined enough on the forum and he put group size back to 10. That increased the overall power of  the group so he is decreasing the individual power of the player.  As a lot of people have been saying since last wipe. We like the individual power of the player high with small group sizes because the player base is shrinking, but with more than 6-8 people in group things are stupid easy and pvp is dumb. I'd love to see it go to 6, keep the decrease stats, put weapons/equip back to how they were except keep the changes to the high end damage/spec weapons so that they require weight 28.

Removing legend would have probably fixed a lot of issues...but can you imagine the tears that would have occurred if they did that?

Tour

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
We are still going through iterative passes with weapons and are not complete yet. What you are seeing right now is a complete normalization for weapons that should give us a the 'level set' that we need to move forward.

Change is difficult, and we understand that some will adapt to the changes we are making and some will not.

breiner

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »
First:

A ttiiiiiiny bit more diversity in the weapons would be nice.
Weights could vary a bit more 15-19 maybe? Just for fun.
Same goes for value. And dice...
There's not THAT big a difference between 1d12, 2d6, and 3d4 when you take into consideration +0 - +3 on the item.

Probably wouldnt take more than a couple minutes to code a random weapon generator for each weapon that'd still land it in the area you'd like it to be.

Please don't remove all uniqueness to items. Some have +skills(parry/riposte or whatnot) that sets them apart and make them interesting.

If it is your intention to introduce more diversity then please say so. Don't let weapons become part of CloneMUD. Please :D

Second:

Do you take any input? There are some items that have changed type (offhand, mainhand, 2hander). Some of the changes don't make much sense, in terms of weapon descriptions
or size. If so, how do we give input so we don't reveal information?

Third:

Do you have an idea of the timeframe we're looking at here? It is a bit sad to log on to solo some stuff only to find that your freshly popped prim has decayed in rent again because it had to leave for an emergency makeover :D

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
All weapons are being normalized to a 'level set' benchmark that will be used to determine the power balance. We have not yet reached our final form and understand that you are only reacting to what you have seen so far. Once the power balance level set for melee weapons has been confirmed and locked in, you will start to see the flavor come back in, slight differences in weight, rent cost, affects all based on difficulty or the weapon. The damage dice on weapons will very likely remain static and will be determined by the quality of the weapon.

Tour

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:57:25 AM »

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
Sure, we can shut down for the next 2 years while we implement the changes...

We would have loved to roll out a big-bang approach to this, but it just wasn't possible. Will we wipe sooner? who knows, maybe. While I do appreciate a lot of the feedback we have received so far, it is hard to weed out the diamond in the rough in a sea of "you changed my krang, don't touch my precious krang" whining.

Tour

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »
Damnit. I'm going to have to load a new vase of tears, this one is almost full. Can you please set it to a larger capacity?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:09:41 PM by eddiex »

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
3x oblit with the new weapons and base 16 str...

Oligo

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 10:41:10 PM »
Removing legend would have probably fixed a lot of issues...but can you imagine the tears that would have occurred if they did that?

We disagree on most things. But I think removing legend would restore balance to the force. And more importantly bring back pk which is what made the game fun, not PvE. At least the pk'ers who haven't been sitebanned.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 06:44:54 AM »
If you remove legend you will drive so many people away 100%. That isn't the answer. The best answer I've seen so far was from Rich who said legends should take up 2 group spots. That is a very solid idea. And pretty much addresses all the issues, as far as group power. Change group limit to 12, and make legends take up 2 spots each.