Author Topic: Stat changes on items  (Read 5408 times)

jrrestad

Stat changes on items
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
First, the random midwipe changes to gear is more than annoying.  I'll put modesty aside and consider myself a high end player.  As such, you pick your gear and try to build a character to your liking and the easiest way is with gear.  However, loring an item not just once a wipe, but several times in a wipe because the stats keep getting changed complicates things.  If only there were some way to inform people of a stat change to their gear.  I assume some of you have noticed?  Not just your +damages?

Speaking of +damage gear.  Do we have to remove ALL useful stats from +damage gear if they are to retain their +damage?  Recently, I loaded a +damage bodyworn that used to be autohide and 10% regen some other mediocre crap.  Now it is just +1damage.  Which is crap.  Yet there are still less limited items that are +damage and then some, and much easier to load.  I get that the process of removing or nerfing every single +damage in the game takes time, but maybe work from the bottom up?  Maybe a notice of your hard-earned gear now equating to shit compared to soloable, previous trash items?

How about them "hardbashes"?  If you're going to remove that effect from these items, could we at least give them some stats?  Even a stat?  -2svs on a limit 1 item doesnt really count, nor does a recupe keyword on a low limit quest item.

If I were going to rant I'd probably say something about how there's only 3 races in the game anymore worth a damn but I won't.  Or did I.  Listen, I rarely post on here and I really do enjoy this game.  But this wipe is exceedingly frustrating.  What I'm looking for, and hoping for, is a little more transparency and something other than 'this games too easy lets make it harder' in a feeble attempt to retain players.  My philosophy has always been make the game broader, more flexibility, MORE high end gear, allowing for more enjoyment across the board.

Kadaj

• Zoner
Re: Stat changes on items
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:08:37 AM »
I for one would really enjoy a little more transparency. The secrecy around this game is just not what it was 10 years ago. Most people are well informed enough to know more of the advanced workings of the game.

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:04:02 AM »
I agree that doing mid-wipe equipment changes is not ideal and we know it is frustrating to keep players guessing what the item does each time they log on.

This is something that was unavoidable as we perform the balance passes. It could take several passes before we get the balance dialed in. It is not possible for us to provide the players with detailed item-by-item updates to "their" gear, but we will provide the global principle used to model the change. I am not sure this will fulfill your need for transparency or not.

Now it is just +1damage.  Which is crap.
I hope by the end of the melee balance passes, you have changed your tune on how wrong this statement is.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 09:24:08 PM »
Forcing people to value gear which has something other than dam on it, due to frank necessity caused by the nerfing of character power in general, is good for the game.  Honestly, the 15 dam character always had huge holes in it:  now, you'll *have* to look for other ways to build, and this is overall to the positive. 

I've been looking for alternate stats to value for wipes now, and doing decently well with it, largely because the dam was rarely available to me anyway.  Trust me: dam is far from the end-all be-all of gear statistics.  It was always overvalued, both in rank prices and item design weighting.  You can find better gear, and build a better, more rounded character which will find success in a wider range of venues, if you embrace diversity in gear choices.

Now, you're being forced to be creative.  It's not a bad thing.

Anfi

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »
There's lack of active good pk clans which would just leave you naked. No gear - no problems.

kmark101

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:17:55 PM »
Balancing item stats is generally a very good thing, couple items could use some boost/nerf.
However, I think +dam items are nothing compared to sky scouts (even as non legendary) as their volley ability is honestly destroying every kind of challenge in almost every zones... I don't understand how this skill can remain in the game for so long and how ppl responsible for balancing don't see this as a number one problem when they try to make the game harder/more challenging.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
I, like most people who have the knowledge to pop things like all the nobashes, majority of nice gear;get hung up on MAJOR DAMAGE! Same with heals. Every time ive played a healer, everyone says "get mindshield" I never do. Always opting for +heal etc. So with a hitter, I want max str/max dam! It's just the greed of being a melee class.

I always think back to what someone told me about doobie though. And Idk if its true because that guy always hit hard. But someone said he built his character with tons of saves/resist/etc and then focusing on the damage.

Perhaps that is a path the mud is heading towards. I'll jump on board for it. Solid 6dam with nice str, great saves, maybe an immune something. Lets do it.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:44:29 PM »
I, like most people who have the knowledge to pop things like all the nobashes, majority of nice gear;get hung up on MAJOR DAMAGE! Same with heals. Every time ive played a healer, everyone says "get mindshield" I never do. Always opting for +heal etc. So with a hitter, I want max str/max dam! It's just the greed of being a melee class.

I always think back to what someone told me about doobie though. And Idk if its true because that guy always hit hard. But someone said he built his character with tons of saves/resist/etc and then focusing on the damage.

Perhaps that is a path the mud is heading towards. I'll jump on board for it. Solid 6dam with nice str, great saves, maybe an immune something. Lets do it.

He did. He'd always build on dex, then max his svs before taking into account anything else.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:05:45 AM »
My thoughts on the up-to-date item changes - I think the immortals need to make sure that end-game, limited gear stay "unique" and set-apart from the rest of the gear on the game.  One reason several people enjoy this game is going after those limited items which sets your character apart from the rest of the people playing.  This doesn't apply to just end-game gear, but those lim 1 or 2 items such as gargoyle chieftain's cloak, diamond collar, aspre items, quali sleeves, ancient items, etc. etc. type of items.  If damage is being removed from the game on most levels, there are still ways to make those items "cool" imo via big svs, awareness, nv, immunities, + extra attack %, mindshield, imm silence, hardbash, or huge buffs to standard things (+100 movement, +30-40 hps, +50-75% resists). 

For example, when people recently lored mithas gauntlets as +2 str, or hydra gauntlets at +2str resist gas 10, the response from those players were "does any 3rd alt need this gear, I'll trade you for green swordsman's gloves."

Anyway - I know the balancing act is hard, but I think these legendary items should still be "badass" even if they are in-fact that but from a different perspective.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »

He did. He'd always build on dex, then max his svs before taking into account anything else.

Was that the 24 nat dex kender warrior with humas?

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »
Idk. hes had several. i was thinking of Uther. And I think uther was a hill dwarf if i remember right.

Jang Yoo Sung

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Storms Keep
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 06:15:56 PM »
My thoughts on the up-to-date item changes - I think the immortals need to make sure that end-game, limited gear stay "unique" and set-apart from the rest of the gear on the game.  One reason several people enjoy this game is going after those limited items which sets your character apart from the rest of the people playing.  This doesn't apply to just end-game gear, but those lim 1 or 2 items such as gargoyle chieftain's cloak, diamond collar, aspre items, quali sleeves, ancient items, etc. etc. type of items.  If damage is being removed from the game on most levels, there are still ways to make those items "cool" imo via big svs, awareness, nv, immunities, + extra attack %, mindshield, imm silence, hardbash, or huge buffs to standard things (+100 movement, +30-40 hps, +50-75% resists). 

For example, when people recently lored mithas gauntlets as +2 str, or hydra gauntlets at +2str resist gas 10, the response from those players were "does any 3rd alt need this gear, I'll trade you for green swordsman's gloves."

Anyway - I know the balancing act is hard, but I think these legendary items should still be "badass" even if they are in-fact that but from a different perspective.

totally agreed!

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »
Just make green swordsman gloves lim 1, problem solved!