Author Topic: January 29th, 2013 -- Coffee is for Closers  (Read 14265 times)

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Re: January 29th, 2013 -- Coffee is for Closers
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
I thought the game saved itself every tic? Like I have popped an item and then the mud fooms, and the item will be gone because it hadn't ticced yet.

kilians

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
dont feel bad i started a new warrior got him pretty high level now its all gone inless they can fix that idk

Cyren

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
This must be some kind of karmic message. I returned to the mud for the first time this wipe. Rolled a character, levelled it up, etc ,etc. My wife and son are pleading for me to stay retired from Arctic forever. Then foom!

Maybe I should stay retired.

aliquippa

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:14 AM »
How's the restore going?

Gman

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:01:47 AM »
I guess I already know the answer to this question, but I just started playing again after about 18 years away from the game.  I created a thief, I think last Thursday or Friday night.  He was level 16 on Sunday night.. I guess all that 22+ hours is lost now?  He doesn't exist anymore?  Maybe I should take this as a sign and not completely fall off the wagon - as this experience reminds me why I quit playing this game in the first place.  It's too hard to justify investing hours/days/weeks into a 'project' that can go up in smoke within seconds due to factors out of your control - that being player wipes, system crashes, abusive p-killing, or poorly described / designed DTs.  All that said though, I cannot deny this damn game is addicting.

My second question is, is it possible to get a zone file and read it like a book?  I created the Lost Mine zone ( which has since been modified ) back in 1994 ( with Fist, Thar, Reorx, Laz, Tasselhoff ( who btw kept stealing your crap when you grouped with him - occasionally saying 'you dropped this' when he returned it... very annoying, but memorable ), but I never really got to enjoy my own zone as a player.  I'd REALLY like to see my original zone the most, if that still exists somewhere ( I still have some of the hand written notes when I was designing it - but not a completed, typed version of it ).  Being able to 'snoop' through and log the existing zone would work too if my original is gone.  I wanted to share it with my son ( who is totally into games like MTG and Minecraft, etc ).  I told him about it on Thursday night on our way back from his basketball practice, and that is why I started playing again.  If any admin is willing to entertain this request, please let me know.  I'd like to get a hard copy for my own nostalgic reasons before this game disappears entirely.

RaVaN

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »
@Gman

I feel your pain, but this basically things happen in my opinion, it might suck but it is fair.  The clan I am is made up of returning players/people who just don't have the time to invest in the game.  Some of the things that were loaded will suck to lose far beyond ranks and levels for us due to us being a low-end clan with limited time...basically losing 2 very nice shaman spells that are a pain to get even in the best of clans+ a few other nice things we have run across.  It sucks but it is fair.  On the same note, I had a similar thing occur in reverse, I DTed a set and FOOM came back with everything...of course as most know, I am the trash master but still a pain to reload all that trash I carry around.

As to your thief, and this goes for whatever other returning player or new that just made a character...remake it and look for me in game and I will get you back to where you were in short order as best I can while getting you back on your feet and into the game...you don't even have to join the clan for it.  My ingame names are Ravan and Jerak in clan AOW. 

Stride

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »
So Hoss,  Can we get an update on where the reload process is?  I've been jonesing to play!

BronxeBomber

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »
WIPE IT. I created my char on Wednesday after being gone for 5 years. Was 28th with 3 damage and +4str. Now I have no chars....so WIPE IT!

But seriously, when is it going to be back up. At last estimate it was supposed to be up 8 hours ago.

BronxeBomber

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »
Then again, seriously, wipe. Wipe them all.

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
I do not have any solid updates to provide on an estimated up time. The system is still in the process of uploading the backups and due to the local of our system administrator "Scrappinak the Polish" the connection between the backup system and the system Arctic runs on is about as good as a 2400 baud modem. I hope that the restore will be complete this afternoon and that we will have the game back up by late evening. I appreciate your patience, please hang in there a while longer.

Scrappinak

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »
Arctic's home directory is finishing up. There was more data in there than I had originally anticipated. The restore is coming from my master backup, ergo the delay. Normally there are local backups of arctic data which result in much faster turnaround. The failure was the entirety of /home; the rest of the system was unaffected due to the nature of the failure (ec2 hillarity). The errors that caused this outage have been corrected and cannot happen a second time. Additionally, snapshots of all arctic data will be made regularly in order to ensure a much faster turnaround time.

Also, Hoss is still an ass.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:14 AM »
So will all the ranks be fresh like they were on wipe day?  Also, anyone who is new, or coming back from a hiatus, let me know, can find me as Alecto or Jocasta.  I will gladly make a newbie and help you level.  I know how to load sharp short AND long swords!

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
I would imagine that the ranks will be whatever they were last Wednesday since that is when the backup is being performed from?

Scrappinak

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »
That is correct.

BronxeBomber

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »
Is it still looking like late tonight? Could we get a tentative time?