Poll

Do you like to play healers, Are you good at playing healers?

I love to play healers and I'm great at it
15 (30%)
I would like to play a healer but people dont trust me to keep the main tank and group alive
8 (16%)
I'm a decent healer but I hate playing them
16 (32%)
I have no interest in playing healer at all let alone playing one well
11 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Attitude towards healers  (Read 14711 times)

Kadaj

• Zoner
Re: Attitude towards healers
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »
I feel like the healers have it pretty darn easy, at least you can legendary fairly easily. Try being a black robed mage and sitting there, mindlessly training 12 skills. Ok, you got all those skills trained after countless hours. Sweeeeet, got rank 20. Killed Kinin. Oh wait, you have every spell except devastation. It can't be THAT hard to get, right? 29 books later....soon to be 30 books later as I'm writing this, waiting for my group to get here and I will still be devastationless.  It's not even that I'm rushing to get legend so I can get all these sweet ranks. I'm waiting to legend so I can roll a new character. There's not even a point to rolling a new character unless it's an exotic race, which I can't do until I get this spell. You silly clerics have it easy!  #devastated

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
IDK about that! I remember doing glymmer/amity 20+x a piece trying to get holy word a few wipes ago.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »
IDK about that! I remember doing glymmer/amity 20+x a piece trying to get holy word a few wipes ago.

and then you never played it. it's like no one wants/needs to play healers seriously anymore.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:17:41 PM by gnua »

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »
They dont really. Only a handful of fights even require actual heals.

RichE

• Fodder
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »
Yeah, i'm still not legendary on white robe.. regretting my decision not to play a healer.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 03:27:05 PM »
Rich you should just always make a healer.  :p

Valenore

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 07:28:45 AM »
The problem with healers:

1.  Most of their spells are not useful: i.e. gate only has one very situation use I know of, sunray is useless zoning, holy word is mostly useless, strength of one isn't really useful (should make the regular spell what the legendary used to be), restoration

2.  Even the "useful" spells aren't fun.  Steelskin is self-cast only so it is mostly useless especially in groups, heroism is not exciting, cloak of bravery?,

3.  Because of shamans, autosteelskin tanks, and barbarian dances you aren't needed for a lot of zones and most of the zones you are needed for is only a few fights. 

4.  Unless you are a clan leader, spelling you generally isn't a priority because outside of heal and summoning circle your legendary required spells (or others) aren't useful to the group.  So as you said, when the clan leaders aren't playing the healers then they get relegated to a back burner.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 04:25:55 PM »
A legend cleric with three solid animates is probably the most exciting thing to see in this game.  If you don't enjoy playing a healer once legendary then you aren't doing it right.  Nothing else in the game can sex-tuple-oblit AND heal the whole group.

Now, I will agree, playing a healer pre-legend sucks donkey butt...

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
The problem with healers:

1.  Most of their spells are not useful: i.e. gate only has one very situation use I know of, sunray is useless zoning, holy word is mostly useless, strength of one isn't really useful (should make the regular spell what the legendary used to be), restoration

2.  Even the "useful" spells aren't fun.  Steelskin is self-cast only so it is mostly useless especially in groups, heroism is not exciting, cloak of bravery?,

3.  Because of shamans, autosteelskin tanks, and barbarian dances you aren't needed for a lot of zones and most of the zones you are needed for is only a few fights. 

4.  Unless you are a clan leader, spelling you generally isn't a priority because outside of heal and summoning circle your legendary required spells (or others) aren't useful to the group.  So as you said, when the clan leaders aren't playing the healers then they get relegated to a back burner.

While I agree with most of what you said, all your points other than #3 were equally true 10-15 years ago when elite people were playing healers. I'm wondering if the mechanics have somehow changed (shamans? steelskin rank?) so that the incremental benefit of a dedicated healer over a trash healer does not justify the effort.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 12:14:51 PM »
What is even the point of this thread? People who are not "top healers", will never become "top healers" if they cannot practice. The only way to develop into a "top healer" is to solo heal the most difficult portions of the game successfully. Either that or write an elite script. Scripted healers are boring, as are fully scripted characters in general. There is no entertainment value to sitting there and watching your character heal like a champ day in and day out.

Are you trying to "psychologize" the reason they aren't played more? Bring attention to how much they need a revamp?

News flash: Clerics are still one of the most valuable classes in the game. Shamans were developed as an alternate healing class. This allows for greater group diversity, which IMO has been more pronounced because of the necessity to optimize classes in 8 man groups.  This top flight healer conversation is absurd and I'm sure quite insulting to many talented healers who aren't fully automated.  Why don't you break down a list of all the A B C and D group healers to enlighten us all of your insight...

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
People who are not "top healers", will never become "top healers" if they cannot practice.

and when they become decent, the first thing they want to do is stop playing the healer.

Are you trying to "psychologize" the reason they aren't played more? Bring attention to how much they need a revamp?

i wouldnt mind a revamp to make them more enjoyable

Clerics are still one of the most valuable classes in the game.

and yet no one wants to play them.

This top flight healer conversation is absurd and I'm sure quite insulting to many talented healers who aren't fully automated.

I have great respect for talented healers and I don't see how pointing out that they aren't playing healers insults them.  Perhaps the talented healers who are still around might give us insight as to why they aren't playing healers even though they are still playing arctic.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »
I think it boils down to a league of legend mentality.

Healers are supports and supports cant carry..

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 03:55:22 PM »
What clans are suffering from good players not playing healers? Rise? Wild? Core? Myth? Outlaw? Los? Apoc? Etc?

I got too much going on with family and kid to devote the energy to be a good clan healer. Others stepped up. Just like every clan out there I'm sure.

I think I'm with Eddie. What's the point of this?

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »
What clans are suffering from good players not playing healers? Rise? Wild? Core? Myth? Outlaw? Los? Apoc? Etc?

I dont think anyone is suffering from a lack of good healers since a trash healer is good enough.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 04:03:33 PM »
I think it boils down to a league of legend mentality.

Healers are supports and supports cant carry..

But I feel like something must have changed to create this situation. It was not always like this so my question is: what has changed?