Author Topic: Changes  (Read 7304 times)

Hoodoo

• Zoner
Re: Changes
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 06:21:21 PM »
Port is the wrong term, and it was 90s-era, but yes, there was an old copy of this mud available to Shriners on a different server.   Multiple, independent reports of this, none of them connected to Reed.

Ages ago. :)  Still, not something I ever got to wander through.   Also, probably a cheap shot.  From all reports, it was somewhat outdated from the time it came up.  Nonetheless, the ability to wander a copy of Arctic with full powers to view rbugs/etc, even an outdated one, does offer a significant advantage. 

Anyone who played in the 90s would have no trouble believing that Shriners took literally every advantage, fair or not.  Reports/logs of oloaded potions prior to major PK battles are commonplace and not really in doubt. 

There were more personal (and very true) cheap shots in regards to character history on this mud I could have chosen:  I did at least avoid that route.   Nobody has *ever* held my hand, on this mud: I've learned almost everything the hardest way.  I've literally never cheated, and have regularly offered names of cheaters and proof, even when it was detrimental to me.   

I've never benefited from play outside the rules.  Everyone who can do the same in this thread, raise a hand. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:33:57 PM by Hoodoo »

RichE

• Fodder
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »
Well, Reed-Aid is delicious.  I used to get some everytime I killed him in Solace.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 08:51:03 PM »
I don't drink the Reed Koolaid: I do listen to all sides, and yes, the transparency you just gave us should have been present at the moment that major change was implemented.

Changing the handling of a single spell book from held to death without altering any other facet of the mobile or its location is far from a major change. On top of that, spell locations (including changes of those locations) have never been transparent. If you ask me Hoss was pretty generous to clarify the change in this thread because he really didn't have to.

As a side note, the cheating rant seems off-topic, irrelevant and unnecessary. Your description of your rule abiding also made you sound like a hall monitor.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 08:53:16 PM »
Just someone who likes my clan clean, that's all.  Why is it so odd that someone follows the rules?

I only report cheating that's blatant or in my clan... More the second, and that tended to get ignored anyway.   Truth, while often uncomfortable, should never be derided or dismissed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:05:10 PM by Hoodoo »

lurker

• Fodder
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »
This stuff is up to you to learn through regular means, trial and error, or actual thought.

I'm not on team reed or anything, but it's kind of silly to say that. He (and a lot of players, apparently) did learn how the book loaded (presumably through trial & error, thought, or regular means), and then it was changed without any News or other notice.

Having played arctic on and off for some 20 years, it's par for the course to expect that stuff is changed around between each pwipe. But to have a mob changed in an important way from one day to the next with no notice at all is something a bit different.  This doesn't reward learning through trial & error or other means, because the lesson here is anything you learn might not even be true the next day you play, it could well be arbitrarily changed with no notice whatsoever. I think that is the real complaint here, not that the book was made harder to obtain.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 04:39:15 PM »
Exactly.  As stated, I believe deathload would have been the proper choice for that mob at inception.  I'm far from angry about the change.  The method of the change, the mid-wipe timing and lack of notice shows a complete disregard for the work and time players put into this game. 

That's not something which is deserving of sarcastic or abusive responses, hence my somewhat less than polite replies to such.

snax

Re: Shrinermud
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »
Port is the wrong term, and it was 90s-era, but yes, there was an old copy of this mud available to Shriners on a different server.   Multiple, independent reports of this, none of them connected to Reed.

it wasn't a shriner copy.  It was a circle mud (different but similar to diku codebase) that involved a hell of a lot of copy and pasting rdescs and tweaking / reverse engineering "afaik" kind of metrics that provided a very similar experience.  Pretty sure karrot spearheaded the effort, but maybe my memory is failing these days.

It never took off, but it was nice to play hoss for a few months before settling back into the real game which had more than 8-12 players (back then)

I dont' think anyone really back when we were 15-24ish years old had the talent or drive to really push the project very far and I'm not sure who karrot and the others were/are/became in the future, however it was not "a shriner copy" just more like a fan-project because twinlark was hella gay, and the shriners had all the good shit so it was like a "we can buff ourselfs and kill our chinese rip off of insert zonename/mob" etc....

also I don't think any copy of it ever survived which is great, because later on because when you're really young you don't understand intellectual rights and what not, even if you finally half learn to code.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 01:29:49 AM »
Exactly.  As stated, I believe deathload would have been the proper choice for that mob at inception.  I'm far from angry about the change.  The method of the change, the mid-wipe timing and lack of notice shows a complete disregard for the work and time players put into this game. 

That's not something which is deserving of sarcastic or abusive responses, hence my somewhat less than polite replies to such.

You ask for a pwipe and then complain bout game updates and tweaks mid wipe?
So you want the game to progress and yet want no updates  because hey it messes up your play in a new wipe?

I believe there are constant unannounce changes all the time and why would it be different in a new wipe? It wouldn't be a new wipe if you didnt beg for one .

Stop and stare.

Yeah like everyone else, i need to find something to complain about.

Jang Yoo Sung

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Storms Keep
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 01:19:13 AM »
Too much words... No time to reed... I mean read
Well although you said lich is deathload now(with a higher percentage)
I've killed it more than enuf to think otherwise...
Please... Recheck this... Please...

Anthony

Re: Shrinermud
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »

it wasn't a shriner copy.  It was a circle mud (different but similar to diku codebase) that involved a hell of a lot of copy and pasting rdescs and tweaking / reverse engineering "afaik" kind of metrics that provided a very similar experience.  Pretty sure karrot spearheaded the effort, but maybe my memory is failing these days.

It never took off, but it was nice to play hoss for a few months before settling back into the real game which had more than 8-12 players (back then)

I dont' think anyone really back when we were 15-24ish years old had the talent or drive to really push the project very far and I'm not sure who karrot and the others were/are/became in the future, however it was not "a shriner copy" just more like a fan-project because twinlark was hella gay, and the shriners had all the good shit so it was like a "we can buff ourselfs and kill our chinese rip off of insert zonename/mob" etc....

also I don't think any copy of it ever survived which is great, because later on because when you're really young you don't understand intellectual rights and what not, even if you finally half learn to code.

The one you're talking about was a copy & paste. It had none of the specs, none of the hidden stats, at the end of the day, very little code, if any, in common.

The one he is talking about is likely the creation port, which before Flint's 1st great clan purge, used to be 1) easier to get access to, 2) less segmented with code info/zone info (since most/all zones were online on it) and 3) not heavily monitored. Of course this is also ignoring the various coder ports that have run through the years but is also something apparently not done anymore.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 05:46:03 PM »
thats actually an awesome change, making it deathload and higher %. the % load before was ridiculously bad.
and in regards to evernote remark, we share the basics for legending characters r ourselves yes. nothing wrong with helping eachother learn to legend, even with a map given to you, you still have to learn and figure the fights out and most of the loads.

i know for a fact it has helped a lot of mid level players at least in myth learn a lot more about this game and learning keeps more people interested in this game. myself included.
We do not share elite secrets and specific loads, just what is needed to legend. and personally i think you should be sharing that information myself. im sure there are people around who would gladly help you do it.

there is nothing wrong with helping sheep become better leaders and self sufficient. to the 5% of the people playing this game that actually learned everything on their own kudos, to the rest of the people its very helpful to have guidance and help from both friends and notes.

im not ashamed to take help where i can get it, considering all i do is log on and try to use that knowledge to help other people enjoy this game.

it is an idea that should be embraced not discouraged.